Montgomery County, Maryland GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This Maryland-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
Executive Office Building
101 Monroe Street, 2nd Floor
Rockville, MD 20850
- Named for Richard Montgomery, general in the American Revolutionary War.
- Created 6 September 1776 from Frederick County.
- 1791, portions of the county (including Georgetown) along with portions of Prince George's County were ceded to form District of Columbia.
Villages & Special Tax Districts
- "Brown Family Cemetery, Montgomery County, Maryland," The American Genealogist, Vol. 51, No. 2 (Apr. 1975):110. FHL 973 D25aga v. 51
Federal Census reports available 1790-1930 including slave and veterans schedules.
Maryland State Archives' Guide to Maryland Religious Institutions identifies all churches known to have existed in Montgomery County, Maryland. It covers all denominations and includes record descriptions.
- Coldham, Peter Wilson. "Intercepted Letters Relating to America 1777-1811," The Genealogist, Vol. 14, No. 2 (Fall 2000):184-200; Vol. 15, No. 1 (Spring 2001):53-74. [Overseas correspondence of residents of Georgetown with the following surnames: Beatty, Deakins, Forrest, Johns, Levy, Magruder, Mason, and Stoddert.]
- List of imported servants and convicts from Europe who served labor terms in Colonial Montgomery County, Maryland (work in progress), courtesy: Immigrant Servants Database.
Through a Joint eGovernment Service of the Maryland Judiciary and the Maryland State Archives, free images and indexes of the complete series of Montgomery County Deed Books (1777-present) have been uploaded to their website: MDLandRec.Net: A Digital Image Retrieval System for Land Records in Maryland. (Requires free registration.)
- Montgomery County newspapers are identified in "Guide to Maryland Newspapers," available online, courtesy: Special Collections, Maryland State Archives.
- Maryland Death Certificate Index 1898-1944, available online, courtesy: Vital Records Indexing Project, Maryland State Archives.
Societies and Libraries
- The Montgomery County MDGenWeb Project, a member of The MDGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Montgomery County.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Montgomery County. (Backup site)
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library Catalog for Montgomery County.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News