Montgomery County, MarylandEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This Maryland-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
Executive Office Building
101 Monroe Street, 2nd Floor
Rockville, MD 20850
- Named for Richard Montgomery, general in the American Revolutionary War.
- Created 6 September 1776 from Frederick County.
- 1791, portions of the county (including Georgetown) along with portions of Prince George's County were ceded to form District of Columbia.
Villages & Special Tax Districts
- "Brown Family Cemetery, Montgomery County, Maryland," The American Genealogist, Vol. 51, No. 2 (Apr. 1975):110. FHL 973 D25aga v. 51
- Riggs, Ronald Paul and John Frederick Dorman. "Two Montgomery County, Maryland, Cemeteries," The American Genealogist, Vol. 50, No. 2 (Apr. 1974):91. FHL 973 D25aga v. 50 [Peter Family Cemetery and Offutt Family Cemetery.]
- Our Lady Queen of Poland, Silver Spring BillionGraves
Provincial Census of 1776, Frederick County; Including Lower Potomac Hundred, August 22, 1776; George Town Hundred, August 22, 1776; [Unnamed] Hundred, including present Montgomery County, 1776; Elizabeth Hundred, July 22, 1776 (24 pages of facsimile reproductions); Sugar Land Hundred, September 2, 1776; North West Hundred, September 2, 1776 is available online, see pages 177-257 of:
- Brumbaugh, Gaius Marcus. Maryland Records: Colonial, Revolutionary, County and Church from Original Sources. Vol. 1. Baltimore, Md.: Williams & Wilkins Company, 1915. Digital version at Google Books.
Federal Census reports available 1790-1930 including slave and veterans schedules. For tips on accessing Montgomery County, Maryland census records online, see: Maryland Census.
Maryland State Archives' Guide to Maryland Religious Institutions identifies all churches known to have existed in Montgomery County, Maryland. It covers all denominations and includes record descriptions.
Church of England
- [Baker] Hurley, William Neal. Baker Families of Maryland. Bowie, Md.: Heritage Books, Inc., 2001. FHL Book 929.273 B167Hwn.
- [Chilton] Dorman, John Frederick. "The Chilton Families of Virginia and Maryland," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 11, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1967):71-78; Vol. 11, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1967):121-125; Vol. 11, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1967):167-174; Vol. 12, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1968):15-18; Vol. 12, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1968):83-86; Vol. 12, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1968):109-113; Vol. 12, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1968):169-175; Vol. 13, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1969):32-36; Vol. 13, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1969):65-71; Vol. 13, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1969):177-180; Vol. 14, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1970):15-22; Vol. 14, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1970):75-82; Vol. 14, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1970):123-128; Vol. 14, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1970):165-168; Vol. 15, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1971):32-41; Vol. 15, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1971):122-124; Vol. 15, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1971):259-264; Vol. 16, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1972):301-306; FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 11-v. 16; digital version at American Ancestors ($).
- [Hennage] Rubincam, Milton. "The Hennage Family of Virginia," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 19, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1975):163-169. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 19 (1975).
- [Miles] Hurley, William Neal. Our Maryland Heritage, Book Thirteen, Miles Families, Primarily of Montgomery County, Maryland, But Including Members of the Family Found in Other Counties of Maryland and Elsewhere. Bowie, Md.: Heritage Books, Inc., 1999.
- Coldham, Peter Wilson. "Intercepted Letters Relating to America 1777-1811," The Genealogist, Vol. 14, No. 2 (Fall 2000):184-200; Vol. 15, No. 1 (Spring 2001):53-74. [Overseas correspondence of residents of Georgetown with the following surnames: Beatty, Deakins, Forrest, Johns, Levy, Magruder, Mason, and Stoddert.]
- List of imported servants and convicts from Europe who served labor terms in Colonial Montgomery County, Maryland (work in progress), courtesy: Immigrant Servants Database.
Through a Joint eGovernment Service of the Maryland Judiciary and the Maryland State Archives, free images and indexes of the complete series of Montgomery County Deed Books (1777-present) have been uploaded to their website: MDLandRec.Net: A Digital Image Retrieval System for Land Records in Maryland. (Requires free registration.)
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital version at Google Books. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Maryland, Montgomery County on page 127.]
War of 1812
- List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883; Giving the Name of Each Pensioner, the Cause for Why Pensioned, the Post-Office Address, the Rate of Pension Per Month, and the Date of Original Allowance... Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1883. FHL Collection 973 M2Lp v. 5; digital versions at Google Books and Internet Archive. [See Vol. 5, Maryland, Montgomery County, pp. 152-153. Identifies War of 1812 veterans living in this county in 1883.]
- Montgomery County newspapers are identified in "Guide to Maryland Newspapers," available online, courtesy: Special Collections, Maryland State Archives.
-  Montgomery County Tax List of 1783: This is an alphabetical index to names to all property owners assessed. The index cards at the Maryland State Archives include county, hundred, names of tracts of land and whether individuals were paupers or single males as provided in the law.
- Maryland Death Certificate Index 1898-1944, available online, courtesy: Vital Records Indexing Project, Maryland State Archives.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- The Montgomery County MDGenWeb Project, a member of The MDGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Montgomery County.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Montgomery County. (Backup site)
- Montgomery County at Our Family Tree
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library Catalog for Montgomery County.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki