Nashville, TennesseeEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Davidson County's location in the state of Tennessee
Nashville is the capital of the U.S. state of Tennessee and the county seat of Davidson County. It is located on the Cumberland River in Davidson County, in the north-central part of the state. The city is a center for the health care, publishing, banking and transportation industries, and is home to a large number of colleges and universities. It is most notably known as a center of the music industry, earning it the nickname "Music City".
Year: Founded byYear: Formally incorporated as a city.
Archives and Libraries
Business Records and Commerce
Church Biography, History and Records
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- 1855-1856 - Nashville Business Directory for The City of Nashville and Suburbs, Vol. 2, 1855-6. Digital version at Don's List - free.
- 1854-1924 - Links to online Nashville City Directories from Tennessee State Library and Archives - free.
•African-American History of Nashville, Tennessee, 1780-1930 : Elites and Dilemmas (Lovett, 1999)
•Andrew Jackson Slept Here : A Guide to Historical Markers in Nashville and Davidson County (Metropolitan Historical Commission of Nashville and Davidson County, 1993)*
•Articles from Nashville, Tennesee Newspapers, 1800 to 1850 (Armistead, 2009)
•Black Community of Nashville and Davidson County, 1860-1870 (Ridley, 1982)
•Centennial History of Westminster Presbyterian Church : Originally Named Moore Memorial Presbyterian Church, 1873-1973 : With a Postscript Through 1978 (Harwell, 1979)
•Davidson County (Burns, 1989)*
•Davidson County, Tennessee (Nashville. Industrial Bureau, 1911?)*
•Historic Places in Davidson, Williamson, Maury and Giles Counties (Tennessee Historical Commission, 1921?)
•Historic Travellers' Rest, Nashville, Tennessee (Davis, 1976)
•History of Davidson County (Woods, 1946?)
•History of Davidson, County, Tennessee, with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of its Prominent Men and Pioneers (Clayton, 1971)*
•History of McKendree Church (Tipps, 1984)
•Marks, Landmarks and Markers : A Guide to the Civil War in Nashville and Davidson County (Beasley, 196?)
•Nashville : A Pictorial History (Adams & Christian, 1980)
•Nashville in the New South, 1880-1930 (Doyle, 1985)
•Nashville Since the 1920s (Doyle, 1985)
•Nashville, Then and Now 1780-1930 (Weidner, 1930)
•Nashville, the Occupied City : The First Seventeen Months, February 16, 1862 to June 30, 1863 (Durham, 1985)
•North Nashville and Germantown : Yesterday and Today (Connelly, 1982)
•Pioneers of Davidson County, Tennessee (Whitley, 1999)*
Jewish History and Records
Land and Property
Military History and Records
- The Tennessean ~ Current Nashville daily newspaper
- The Nashville Banner (out of print) ~ searchable database of clippings.
Nashville City Cemetery-Index to obituaries
- Davidson County TNGenWeb ~ historical records, maps, census transcriptions, research information.
- TNGenWeb ~ state and local records, maps, indexes, historical information
- Davidson County Archives ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Hidden Ancestors ~ Davidson County/Nashville information as well as general research resources.
- Metropolitan Nashville Archives ~ Nashville Public Library ~ historical records.
- Tennessee State Library and Archives ~ historical records
- Nashville Genealogy (Tennessee Genealogy)
Societies, Libraries and Museums
- Bellevue Branch Library Nashville Public Library 650 Colice Jeanne Road 615-862-5854
- Bordeaux Branch Library Nashville Public Library 4000 Clarksville Pike 615-862-5856
- Donelson Branch Library Nashville Public Library 2315 Lebanon Road 615-862-5859
- East Branch Library Nashville Public Library 206 Gallatin Road 615-862-5860
- Edgehill Branch Library Nashville Public Library 1409 12th Avenue, South 615-862-5861
- Edmondson Pike Branch Library Nashville Public Library 5501 Edmondson Pike 615-880-3957
- Green Hills Branch Library Nashville Public Library 3701 Benham Avenue 615-862-5863
- Hadley Park Branch Library Nashville Public Library 1038 28th Avenue, North 615-862-5865
- Inglewood Branch Library Nashville Public Library 4312 Gallatin Road 615-862-5866
- Library Service For Deaf And Hard Of Hearing Nashville Public Library 615 Church Street 615-862-5750
- Madison Branch Library Nashville Public Library 610 Gallatin Pike South 615-862-5868
- Metropolitan Archives Of Davidson County Nashville Public Library 1113 Elm Hill Pike 615-862-5880
- Nashville Public Library Nashville Public Library 615 Church Street 615-862-5760
- North Branch Library Nashville Public Library 1001 Monroe Street 615-862-5858
- Richland Park Branch Library Nashville Public Library 4711 Charlotte Avenue 615-862-5870
- Thompson Lane Branch Library Nashville Public Library 380 Thompson Lane 615-862-5873
- Watkins Park Community Library Nashville Public Library 612 17th Avenue North 615-862-5872
- Z. Alexander Looby Branch Library 2301 Metro Center Boulevard 615-862-5867