Nevada CemeteriesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Cemetery records, such as tombstone and sexton’s records, have value in that they may give birth and death dates, age at death, name of spouse and children, a maiden name or, occasionally, a birthplace. Tombstones may have symbols or insignias indicating military service and social or religious affiliations. It is important to look at surrounding tombstones because family members may also be buried nearby.
- Billion Graves can be searched by name, surname, or cemetery. It provides a photo and the GPS location of the grave marker.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person, family or cemetery. Usually gives birth and death dates and often comes with a picture of the tombstone. May also give obituaries, biographical information and names of family members with links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Interment.net includes many Nevada cemetery transcriptions
- Access Genealogy provides links to Nevada cemetery transcriptions and indexes.
There is no major statewide collection or index of cemetery transcripts available at present. The Northeastern Nevada Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1903, Elko, Nevada 89801, is currently compiling cemetery records and will do look-ups. The Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) collection contains inscriptions from some Nevada cemeteries (see Nevada Genealogy). The Nevada Historical Society and several county libraries have collected mortuary records that date back to the 1870's.
Family History Library Collection
- Spiros, Joyce V. Hawley. Genealogical Guide to Arizona and Nevada. Gallup, New Mexico: Verlene Publishing, 1983. FHL book 979 D23s; FHL fiche 6049613.
- Contains a list of cemetery names and addresses for each county in Nevada
- Taylor, Richard B. comp. The Nevada Tombstone Record Book. Volume 1. Las Vegas, Nevada: Nevada Families Project, 1986. FHL979.3 V3n v.1; FHL film 1421848 item 5.
- Contains cemetery listings for most of southern Nevada.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More