New Hampshire NewspapersEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Newspapers publish notices of marriage, divorce, death, funerals, obituaries, and wartime casualty lists. Notices include names of the persons involved and date of the event and may contain maiden names, names of parents, and other relatives.
Newspapers also publish articles of local interest, including religious and social events in the community with the names of those involved. Some newspapers serve several communities and devote columns to the everyday happenings in the area. Newspapers also include legal notices, estate sales, and advertising for local businesses.
New Hampshire’s newspapers began in 1756 with the Portsmouth New Hampshire Gazette.
Resources for New Hampshire Newspapers
Libraries and Archives
The New Hampshire Historical Society and the New Hampshire State Library are major repositories of New Hampshire newspapers. For addresses of these repositories, see New Hampshire Archives and Libraries and New Hampshire Societies.
Guide to Indexes
New England Library Association. Bibliography Committee. A Guide to Newspaper Indexes in New England. Holden, Massachusetts: New England Library Association, 1978. New Hampshire indexes are included in this guide. Family History Library book 974 B32n; fiche 6051391.
- The U.S. Newspaper Directory, 1690-Present is a national directory from the Library of Congress of over 140,000 newspaper titles. The directory provides a list of libraries from around the country that have the newspapers in their collections.
- The New Hampshire State Library Concord, N.H. has a list of New Hampshire newspapers microfilmed for the New Hampshire Newspaper Project. The list gives the newspaper title, town, publisher, life span, and catalog and reel numbers so researchers can contact them for further details and obtain microfilm copies for purchase.
Digital Issues Online
- Chronicling America has some historical issues for the state of New Hampshire online.
Family History Library
The Family History Library does not have copies of New Hampshire newspapers, but it does have some published abstracts from newspapers, such as:
- Hammond, Otis G. Notices from the New Hampshire Gazette, 1765–1800. Lambertville, New Jersey: Hunterdon House, 1970. (Family History Library book 974.2 V2ho; film 908584; fiche 6051306). These notices include marriage and death notices, primarily from Portsmouth and nearby areas. The book includes indexes.
- 50states.com. New Hampshire Newspapers. Has an alphabetical list of newspapers with the towns where located and links to the newspapers' current web sites.
- NewsLink. New Hampshire Newspapers. Arranges the newspapers by type, then by town, then name of the newspaper with a link to the newspaper's current web site.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More