New Jersey MapsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
United States United States Maps New Jersey New Jersey Maps
Collections of New Jersey maps and atlases are available at numerous public and university libraries and historical societies. The New Jersey Historical Society has a large collection of more than 2,000 maps, and the state library has several hundred maps and atlases from the seventeenth century to the present.
United States Census Bureau State and County Map. This map will allow you to zoom in on any state or county in the United States and read the names of all of the neighboring counties.
Base Map of New Jersey (Univ of Texas). Nice basic map showing counties of New Jersey.
County Outline Map of New Jersey (Univ of Texas). This map shows only the outline of New Jersey Counties.
The Family History Library has atlases of most New Jersey counties. A collection of 10 statewide maps from the sixteenth through twentieth centuries is found in:
- Skemer, Don C., Compiler. New Jersey Historic Map Portfolio. Florham Park, New Jersey: Afton Publishing, 1983. FHL book 974.9 E7n.
- For information and maps concerning New Jersey's changing state, county, township, and city boundaries, use: Long, John H., Compiler. Historical Atlas and Chronology of County Boundaries, 1788-1980. Volume 1, Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania. Boston, Massachusetts: G.K. Hall, 1984. FHL book 973 E7hL v. 1; fiche 6051426. Contains maps showing when and where each county changed boundaries.
- Snyder, John P. The Story of New Jersey's Civil Boundaries, 1606-1968. Trenton, New Jersey: Bureau of Geology and Topography, 1969. FHL book 974.9 E2s.
Some ward maps that can help you use the U.S. censuses are:
| 1855, 1864, 1886, 1890
|| Family History Library film 1377700, fiche 6016660-63 |
| 1850, 1858, 1865, 1876,
|Family History Library fiche 6016845, 6016716-20|
- The Land Ownership Maps collection, compiled by the Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division, Washington, D.C., 1983, contains 28 maps for New Jersey counties showing the names of landowners and the location of their property. The New Jersey maps are on Family History Library fiche 6079674-706. Most date from 1841 to 1877, but there are two 1766 maps for Somerset and Middlesex counties. Descriptions of each map are found in:
- Stephenson, Richard W. Land Ownership Maps: A Checklist of Nineteenth Century United States County Maps in the Library of Congress. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, 1967. (Family History Library book 973 A3Loc; fiche 6048262.)
- 7.5-, 15-, and 30-minute topographic quadrangle maps of New Jersey, published between 1884 and 1972, are in a collection of maps produced by the United States Geological Survey, Topographic Maps of the United States: Historical Reference File. Suitland, Maryland: National Archives and Records Service, 1978. The maps are arranged alphabetically by the name of the quadrangle: Adelphia-Dinnisville FHL film 1433812), New Brunswick-Wilmington FHL film 1433813
To get the names of the quadrangles, use:
- Official Eastern North America Map and Chart Index Catalog. Neenah, Wisconsin: United States/Canadian Map Service Bureau, 1975. FHL Atlas 970 E72of.
Topographic maps and a free index map can be ordered from:
U. S. Department of Interior
507 National Center
Reston, VA 20192
Telephone: 800-USA-MAPS or 703-648-6045
Free maps of individual counties can be ordered from local tourist bureaus and chambers of commerce or from:
New Jersey Travel and Tourism
New Jersey Commerce, Economic Growth & Tourism Commission
P.O. Box 820
Trenton, NJ 08625-0820
Commercial maps of New Jersey cities can be purchased from:
Geographia Map Company
75 Moore street
Hackensack, NJ 07601
Toll Free: 1-800-416-4331
Hagstrom Map Company, Inc.
46-35 54th Road
Maspeth, NY 11378
Toll Free: 1-800-432-6277
- New Jersey Maps from the Rutgers University Special Collections
- New Jersey Map from worldatlas.com
- New Jersey Maps from netstate.com
- Printable maps are available from the National Atlas of the United States
- David Rumsey Map Collection is a large online collection of rare, old, antique historical atlases, globes, maps, charts plus other cartographic treasures.
- Maps of Counties of New Jersey - Digital-Topo-Maps.com. Various county maps can be purchased
- Historical Maps of New Jersey - University of Alabama Map Library
- New Jersey Maps from the University of Texas Library
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback