New Windsor Township, South CarolinaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Originally Savannah Town (named for the Savannah (Shawnee) Indians) who in 1680 after a trade war replaced the Westo Indians who first settled here. This town became important to the South Carolina colony as a center of the animal fur and buckskin trade. Indian and white trappers brought their pelts from the mountains and farther west to trade for manufactured goods and iron products. Savannah town was on the fall line, the farthest ocean going boats could go up the river before meeting a waterfall. Boats were used to ship the pelts down the Savannah River and along the Atlantic shore to Charleston, and from there to Europe. In 1715-1716 South Carolina built and garrisoned Fort Moore to protect this trade center from hostile Spanish, French, or Indian forces. For further information see the Fort Moore-Charleston Trail page.
New Windsor Township became part Aiken County, South Carolina.
A map identifying the location of colonial New Windsor Township is available at Carolana.com.
- ↑ Wikipedia contributors, "Savannah Town, South Carolina," Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Moore,_South_Carolina (accessed 12 April 2011).
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News