New York City New York Family History CenterEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
The New York City FHC located in midtown Manhattan is a small branch of the Salt Lake Family History Library. We have access to their collection of over 2.4 million rolls of microfilmed records. Additionally, patrons can access our ~3000 on-site microfilms and 9 family history subscription websites for free.
Center Contacts and Hours
Location & Map:
Address: 125 Columbus Ave, NY, NY 10023
- 1st Floor
- Tues, Wed, Thurs 10am-9pm
- Fri 10am-6pm
- Sat 10am-5pm
- Closed Sunday & Monday
Holiday Schedule: Closed Thanksgiving week Nov 22-26, 2011, and for the Christmas holidays Dec 20-31, 2011.
Calendar and Events
- October 18, 2011-Tuesday evening from 6-8pm we are offering a class on Finding Your Hispanic Roots. The class will be on the 3rd floor (signs will be posted). Free of charge.
Staff Training Meetings-Jan 17, 2012 7-9pm (Center closed during this time)
We have specialized help in African-American genealogy, and Hispanic genealogy. Please call for an appointment.
- Family History Library Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the Family History Library Catalog.
- We have 3000 + films in our permanent collection. To view the list of our permanent collection and other links that may be of interest, please visit our blog. www.nynyfhc.blogspot.com
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal: This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
Hardware and Equipment
- 3 film readers
- 4 computers
- 2 microfilm/micro-fiche film reader/scanners
- The scanners & film readers can be reserved for up to 2 hours. **To sign up you can email me, call or [https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AhDhng7GnC3mdFRieW56d0hxSFFMY19WOHY0ZF9DWkE&hl=en click here]
Staff Research Specialties
Resources in the Local Area
(This section is to highlight other resources in your area that will be helpful for individuals doing research there in your location, if there are any, such as government offices, historical societies, etc.)
(Include links to other websites of interest to those who visit your center such as links to the city, county and state wiki pages where your center is located.)
Volunteer at the Center
(Include information here about the volunteers you are looking for.)
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News