North Carolina MapsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 17:53, 27 June 2012 by Dianekay
North Carolina Maps are useful for genealogists. Some give historical background of the area; others show migration routes such as roads, rivers, and railroads. Topographical maps show physical and man-made features, such as creeks, hills, trails, and roads used as persons came to North Carolina. Sometimes maps also include cemeteries and churches. Plat and land ownership, as well as other types of maps, are described in the United States Maps wiki article. See the North Carolina Gazetteers, United States Gazetteers, and the United States Maps wiki articles for more resources regarding places in North Carolina.
- The most comprehensive collection of North Carolina Maps is available online (http://www.lib.unc.edu/dc/ncmaps/) thanks to the cooperative effort of the North Carolina State Archives, the North Carolina Collection at the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, and the Outer Banks History Center. This collection of over 3000 maps inlcudes maps of each of North Carolina's 100 counties, Sanborn Insurance maps, and interactive features.
- United States Census Bureau State and County Map. This map will allow you to zoom in on any state or county in the United States and read the names of all of the neighboring counties.
- Printable maps are also available from Nationalatlas.gov
Family History Library
- North Carolina. State Highway Commission. Planning and Research Department. Maintenance Maps. (Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1973.) FHL film 924100 (first of 3), map case 975.643 E7n
These maps were prepared in 1972 and include all counties.
- Clay, James W. North Carolina Atlas. (Chapel Hill, North Carolina: University of North Carolina Press, 1975.) FHL film1597810 item 2, book 975.6 E3c This atlas shows the formation of counties and the patterns of European settlement.
- Cummings, William P. North Carolina in Maps. (Raleigh, North Carolina: State Department of Archives and History, 1966.) FHL map case 975.6 E7c no. 1–15
This is a set of 15 maps created between 1585 and 1896.
- Gioe, Joan Colbert. North Carolina: Her Counties, Her Townships, and Her Towns. (Indianapolis, Indiana: The Researchers, 1981.) FHL book 975.6 E5g
- To access other maps available through the Family History Library, use the FHL catalog Place-names Search for:
NORTH CAROLINA- MAPS
NORTH CAROLINA, [COUNTY]- MAPS
NORTH CAROLINA, [COUNTY], [TOWN]- MAPS
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page