Norwich St George Colegate, NorfolkEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Norwich St George Colegate, Norfolk|
|Poor Law Union||Norwich PLU|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1602|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
Norwich St George Colegate is an Ancient Parish one of the mediaeval parishes of the city.
As it stands now, the church was built between 1459 (nave), and 1513 (aisles and chapels). The north chapel was built by William Norwich, mayor in 1461, and may well be by the mason John Antell. The nave was glazed in 1514.
OF THE CITY IN THE TIME OF KING GEORGE THE FIRST. George the First was proclaimed King of Great Britain, &c. Aug. 1, 1714, the same day the Queen died; and in this city on the 3d of August, being solemnly crowned on the 20th of Oct. when there were great rejoicings here. In 1715, Dec. 17, Mr. Tho. Hall, late of London, merchant, son of John Hall of Norwich, Esq. lieutenant colonel of the militia regiment, justice of peace, and late mayor, was interred at St. George's of Colgate.
"By the mid-19th century St Georges parish had once again fallen on hard times. The Church wanted local parishioners to pay for the upkeep of the building the so-called tithe but many were non-conformists who resented paying money to the Church of England. A subsequent court case forced them to pay."
Norwich St George Colegate, Norfolk parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Norwich St George Colegate, Norfolk Online Records|
||1538-1644, 1653-1878|| |
||to 1650, 1813-1819||
Church Graveyards and Cemeteries
- St George Colagate on FindAGrave
- A list of grave monuments in St George Colegate Cemetery, Norwich, Norfolk, England on Gravestone Photographic Resource
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438869.
Poor Law Unions
- registration events post 1837 may be searched online Free BMD
Norwich Maps on George Plunkett website
Mid-evil Churches in the City of Norwich - Map on George Plunkett website
- St George Colgate Norwich on Norfolk Churches
- Norwich Historic Churches Trust
- Historic Photographs on George Plunkett website
- St George Colegate, Norwich on Britain Express
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis,The History of the City and County of Norwich, part I(1806), pp. 436-443. Date accessed: 27 September 2013.
- ↑ 60: St George’s Church, Colegate EDP24, accessed 7 May 2014
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Norfolk, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 20 March 2014.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 10 February 2014.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Births Indexes: Guide to Parishes, n.d.; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki