Ordering Microfilm or MicroficheEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Introduction to FHCs Ordering Microfilm or Microfiche
How to order films to view at a Family History Center (FHC)
Depending on where you are located in the world, there are presently two procedures for ordering a microfilm into a Family History Center for use. One method is an on-line procedure; the other is an older, paper process requiring a visit to your local FHC. Over time the on-line process will be offered globally.
Both methods require you to have the microfilm/fiche number you desire to use in a FHC. Staff at the FHC can assist you in locating the proper microfilm/fiche number. You can also use the on-line Family History Library Catalog to select the correct number. How to use the Family History Library Catalog.
On-line film ordering
In countries where on-line film ordering has been introduced, you can use any computer with an internet connection to place a film order. Online Film Ordering is currently available in the following countries: Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom, Ireland, Canada, France, Portugal, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, and Malta. During 2011, parts of the United States will be deployed based on region. By the end of 2011, all of the United States will be using Online Film Ordering. If your Family History Center is not among those listed as available on the Film Ordering page, then you must go to your local Family History Center to place your order.
You can order films on the FamilySearch Microfilm Ordering Page.
- Instructions for online film ordering:
- Please follow the on-screen instructions to create an account, select your "favourite" FHC and commence placing orders. Loan lengths and corresponding loan fees are shown on the site. Payment is made using Visa or Mastercard credit/debit card or PayPal.
- Staff at your favourite FHC will contact you when your film has arrived and available for your use.
In-person film ordering process
Having identified the microfilm/fiche numbers you would like to see, you can request a copy be loaned to a FHC. A nominal fee is charged for the loan. The FHC staff will place the order. When the film arrives, you can go to the FHC and view it. Ask the staff at the FHC for current fees and ordering procedures.
There are three ways to find the nearest FHC:
- Go to the familysearch.org web site. Type in your city.
- If you live in North America, call 1-866-406-1830.
- If you are in an area where online film ordering is active, you'll be able to select the FHC when you order the film.
Each FHC is staffed by local volunteers who can show you how to search for records of your family.
Each FHC has unique hours of operation, so be sure to telephone your local FHC for their scheduled hours before you visit.
Length of Order
You can order the microfilm for two lengths of time:
- Short-term loan - With this loan, films must be returned within 90 days. A 60-day renewal option is available after your short-term loan expires.
- Indefinite loan - The film will remain at the FHC indefinitely.
- Further information: Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki