Ordering Microfilm or MicroficheEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Introduction to FHCs Ordering Microfilm or Microfiche
There are two ways to order a film to view at a Family History Center.
- Locate the film you wish to order in the Family History Library catalog and click on the film number.
- Go to FamilySearch.org/films and place your order.
You can order films on the FamilySearch Microfilm Ordering Page.
Online Film Ordering
Create a FamilySearch account (if you don't already have one), select your "favourite" FHC and commence placing orders. Loan lengths and corresponding loan fees are shown on the site. Payment is made using Visa or Mastercard credit/debit card or PayPal.
You will be notified by email when your film has arrived and is available for your use.
If you have difficulty placing your order, stop by your local Family History Center and ask for assistance, or contact FamilySearch support.
Ordering Film at a Family History Center
If Online Film Ordering is not available in your area, stop by your local Family History Center to place your order for microfilm. Having identified the microfilm/fiche numbers you would like to see, you can request a copy be loaned to a FHC. A nominal fee is charged for the loan. The FHC staff will place the order. When the film arrives, you can go to the FHC and view it. Ask the staff at the FHC for current fees and ordering procedures.
There are three ways to find the nearest FHC:
- Go to the familysearch.org web site. Type in your city.
- If you live in North America, call 1-866-406-1830.
- If you are in an area where online film ordering is active, you'll be able to select the FHC when you order the film.
Each FHC is staffed by local volunteers who can show you how to search for records of your family.
Each FHC has unique hours of operation, so be sure to telephone your local FHC for their scheduled hours before you visit.
Length of Order
You can order the microfilm for two lengths of time:
- Short-term loan - With this loan, films must be returned within 90 days. A 60-day renewal option is available after your short-term loan expires.
- Extended loan - The film will remain at the FHC indefinitely.
- Further information: Introduction to LDS Family History Centers