Ottawa County, OhioEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Ottawa County, Ohio|
Location of Ohio in the U.S.
|Address|| Ottawa County Courthouse|
315 Madison St.
Port Clinton, Ohio 43452-1993
Ottawa County Website
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|*For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
- Parent Counties: Formed from Erie, Lucas, and Sandusky Counties 6 March 1840.
- County Seat: Port Clinton
- Neighboring Counties: Ottawa County, Ohio residents may also have records in Lucas (north) · Sandusky (south) · Wood (west) · Erie (southeast)
See an interactive map of Ottawa County boundary changes.
Business Records and Commerce
Harris-Elmore Union Cemetery (aka) Guss, Union, Elmore
Harrington Cemetery (aka) Old Elmore, Elmore
Rymers Cemetery (aka) Rice, Elmore
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Land and Property
- Civil War
Civil War service men from Ottawa County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Ottawa County.
Naturalization and Citizenship
The Ohio Obituary Index includes references to more than 1.5 million death, marriage and obituary notices. What began as a project at the Hayes Presidential Center grew into a partnership with 40 public libraries throughout the state of Ohio. Some of the listings date back as far as 1830. In addition to newspaper obituaries, the index includes entries indexing church records, federal mortality indexes, family papers, etc.
Ottawa County Courthouse
315 Madison Street Rm 103
Port Clinton OH 43452-1936
County Health Department has birth, death and burial records;
Probate Judge has marriage and probate records; Clerk Court
has divorce and court records from 1840 and naturalization 1905-1929;
County Recorder has land records
Family History Centers
- Harris-Elmore Public Library
328 Toledo St.
- Ottawa County Genealogical Society (OGS Chapter)
310 Madison St.
They meet at the Ida Rupp Public Library
- Ida Rupp Public Library
310 Madison St.
- Elmore Historical Society
Ohio Deaths, 1908-1953 Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch. Records include such information as birth date of deceased, city, county, and state of death, name of spouse if married, names of parents, maiden name of mother, name of informant, if deceased was single, married, windowed or divorced, occupation of deceased.
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), [FHL book 973 D27e 2002].
- ↑ Wikipedia contributors, "Ottawa County, Ohio" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottawa_County,_Ohio (accessed 10 May 2012).
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki