Oxford County, MaineEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Oxford County Courthouse
26 Western Ave PO Box 179
South Paris, ME 04281
Town Clerks have birth, marriage and death records.
Clerk Courts has marriage records1877-1897, divorce and court records from 1930, probate and land records from 1805. 
- 2 counties were created over the years:
Places / Localities
Hatcher, Patricia Law. "My Ancestor Isn't In the Census: The 9,603 Missing Oxford County Residents In 1810," Maine Genealogist, May 1998, 65-68. Available at FHL Article includes a chart of the towns missing from the census.
Maine Newspaper Archive. Indexes Free; Digital Page Images $ (GenealogyBank $) Twenty-two early Maine 18th and 19th century newspapers, 1785-1898 online. Indexes (free); digital images ($). These newspapers are from Augusta, Bangor, Belfast, Brunswick, Castine, Eastport, Falmouth, Hallowell, Kennebunk, Portland, Saco and Wiscasset.
Tip: early Maine newspapers routinely reported on news, obituaries, births, marriages etc. from around the state. Be sure to search the indexes for all Maine newspapers to find your target ancestor.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- The Oxford County MEGenWeb Project, an member of The MEGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Oxford County
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Oxford County (backup site)
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library catalog for Oxford County
- Oxford County Genealogy Notebook
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Oxford County, Maine page 305, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
|This Maine-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More