Polk County, Missouri
From FamilySearch Wiki
(county boundary map; feel free to delete)
m (Added genealogical and count library links)
|Line 110:||Line 110:|
== Societies and Libraries ==
== Societies and Libraries ==
==== Family History Centers
==== Family History Centers ====
== Websites ==
== Websites ==
Revision as of 15:40, 26 September 2013
Guide to Polk County Missouri genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Polk County, Missouri|
Location of Missouri in the U.S.
|Address|| Polk County Courthouse|
102 East Broadway Street
Bolivar, Mo 65613
Polk County Website
County Recorder hasa marriage from 1835 and land records
from 1836 Clerk Circuit Court has divorce and court records
from 1857; Probate Judge has probate records from 1947
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Missouri denominations, view the Missouri Church Records wiki page.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Missouri Land and Property for information about records of land transfers from the government to private ownership. After that transfer, transactions were usually recorded and are currently housed at the county courthouse.
Local histories are available for Polk County, Missouri. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section Missouri Local Histories.
- Family Maps of Polk County, Missouri (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Map of 1904 Polk County with numerous small settlements (My Genealogy Hound)
Civil War Battles
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Polk County, Missouri newspapers in online catalogs like:
In Missouri, probate records have usually been recorded by the clerks of the probate courts, but in some counties the common pleas or circuit courts handled this function. They are frequently indexed.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Missouri Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths. For additional guidance on researching and using vital records, see United States Vital Records or How to order Missouri Vital Records.
St. Louis and Kansas City recorded births and deaths starting as early as 1850 for deaths and 1870 for births. The Missouri Department of Health began keeping birth and death records in 1909. County records vary by year and the county. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Missouri Vital Records State Department of Health, the County Clerk's office or order electronically online.
- 1829-1885 - Polk County Birth Index 1829-1885 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
- 1836-1874 - Polk County Marriage Index 1836-1874. Batch M515621 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1874-1885 - Polk County Marriage Index 1874-1885. Batch M515622 at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
Polk County Library
1690 W. Broadway
Bolivar, MO 65613
Phone: (417) 326-4531
Family History Centers
- Biographies from The History of Polk County, Missouri (1889) published by Goodspeed are available free on the My Genealogy Hound website.
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Polk County, Missouri. Page 404 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/d/d8/Igimissourij.pdf.