Randolph County, GeorgiaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Randolph County Georgia genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Randolph County, Georgia|
Location in the state of Georgia
|Founded||December 20, 1828|
|Address|| Randolph County Courthouse]|
208 Court Street
Cuthbert, GA 31740
Randolph County Website
Randolph County Courthouse
208 Court Street
Cuthbert, GA 31740
Probate Court has court has marriage, probate records from 1835; Clerk superior court has divorce and land records from 1835
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Georgia denominations, see the Georgia Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Randolph County, Georgia. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Georgia Local Histories.
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Randolph County, Georgia newspapers in online catalogs like:
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
- Wills, 1835-1840 (digital images) Georgia Pioneers
- Index to Will Book A, 1835-1840 Georgia Pioneers
- Index to Will Book B, 1870-1916 Georgia Pioneers
- Index to Wills 1837-1845 Georgia Pioneers
- Index to Miscellaneous Estates 1845-1856 Georgia Pioneers
- Index to Annual Returns 1861-1867 Georgia Pioneers
- Index to Annual Returns 1867-1872 Georgia Pioneers
- Index to Annual Returns 1872-1882 Georgia Pioneers
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health , the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online..
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Georgia.
- 1875-1877 - Randolph County Birth Index 1875-1877. Batch C713561 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875-1877 - Randolph County Births: 1875-1877 Georgia Pioneers
- 1837-1860 - Randolph County Marriage Index 1837-1860. Batch M713562 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1856-1865 - Randolph County Marriage Index 1856-1865. Batch M713563 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1879-1894 - Randolph County Marriage Index 1879-1894. Batch M713564 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1895 - Randolph County Marriage Index 1895. Batch M713565 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1837-1839, Georgia Pioneers
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Randoph County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers Georgia Pioneers
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Randolph County, Georgia. Page 159 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/53/Igigeorgiamz.pdf.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki