Reynolds County, Missouri GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Reynolds County Missouri genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Reynolds County, Missouri|
Location of Missouri in the U.S.
|Founded||February 25, 1845|
|Address|| Reynolds County Courthouse|
Centerville, MO 63633
Reynolds County Website
County Clerk has birth records from 1883, marriage, divorce, probate and court records from 1872
- See an interactive map of Reynolds County border changes at N2Genealogy.
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all 114 Missouri Counties.
List of Reynolds County Cemeteries with headstone inscriptions
For tips on accessing Reynolds County, Missouri Genealogy census records online, see: Missouri Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Missouri denominations, view the Missouri Church Records wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Missouri Land and Property for information about records of land transfers from the government to private ownership. After that transfer, transactions were usually recorded and are currently housed at the county courthouse.
Local histories are available for Reynolds County, Missouri Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section Missouri Local Histories.
- Interactive map of Reynolds County townships (Histopolis)
- The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including Reynolds County.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Reynolds County, Missouri Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
In Missouri, probate records have usually been recorded by the clerks of the probate courts, but in some counties the common pleas or circuit courts handled this function. They are frequently indexed.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Missouri Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths. For additional guidance on researching and using vital records, see United States Vital Records or How to order Missouri Vital Records.
St. Louis and Kansas City recorded births and deaths starting as early as 1850 for deaths and 1870 for births. The Missouri Department of Health began keeping birth and death records in 1909. County records vary by year and the county. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Missouri Vital Records State Department of Health, the County Clerk's office or order electronically online.
- 1867-1885 - Reynolds County Marriage Index 1867-1885. Batch M515731 at FamilySearch - free.
- Reynolds County Marriage Records 1870-1891. These marriage records were taken from the original records on file at the offices of the Circuit Clerk and Recorder, Reynolds County Courthouse, Centerville, Missouri
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
- 1883-1884 - Reynolds County Death Index 1883-1884. Batch B582472 at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for Reynolds County.
- Old Photos of Reynolds County.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Forums and Message Boards
- Face Book - Reynolds County Memories
- Ancestry.com - Reynolds County
- Genealogy.com - Reynolds County, MO Genealogy Forum
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Reynolds County, Missouri. Page 405 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/f/f4/Igimissourir.pdf.
|This Missouri-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More