Somerset County, MaineEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Somerset County Maine genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Somerset County, Maine|
Location in the state of Maine
|Founded||March 1, 1809|
|Address|| Somerset County Courthouse|
Skowhegan, ME 04976
Somerset County Website
Clerk Courts has some marriage records from 1800’s and proabte records from 1809.
Parts of Somerset County were set off to:
- Franklin County 20 March 1838.
- Piscataquis County 23 March 1838.
- Part of Aroostook County 12 March 1844.
Places / Localities
Villages: • Flagstaff • North Anson
Unorganized territories. Townships listed from southeast to northwest within their group. BKP=Bingham's Kennebec Purchase; EKR=East of the Kennebec River NBKP=North of Bingham's Kennebec Purchase; Twp=Township; WELS=West of the Easterly Line of the State; WKR=West of the Kennebec River. For further details see Maine townships.
Maine Newspaper Archive Indexes Free; Digital Page Images $ (GenealogyBank $) Twenty-two early Maine 18th and 19th century newspapers, 1785-1898 online. Indexes (free); digital images ($). These newspapers are from Augusta, Bangor, Belfast, Brunswick, Castine, Eastport, Falmouth, Hallowell, Kennebunk, Portland, Saco and Wiscasset.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- The Somerset County MEGenWeb Project, an member of The MEGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Somerset County
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Somerset County (backup site)
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library catalog for Somerset County
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 305. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ Before an extinct town was discontinued, it created official town records of interest to genealogists. For preservation these records were usually turned over to a nearby functioning town in the same county.
- ↑ Michael J. Leclerc, Genealogist's Handbook for New England Research, 5th ed. (Boston, Mass.: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2012), 115. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 974 D27g 2012.
|This Maine-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.