South Carolina For Further ReadingEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
An essential guide for early South Carolina historical and genealogical research is:
- Lesser, Charles H. South Carolina Begins: The Records of a Proprietary Colony, 1663-1721. Columbia, S.C.: South Carolina Department of Archives and History, 1995.
These guidebooks will give you more detailed information about South Carolina research, publications, and records:
- Côté, Richard N. Local and Family History in South Carolina: A Bibliography. Easley, SC: Southern Historical Press, 1981. FHL 975.7 H23c; WorldCat entry.
- Eichholz, Alice, ed. Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources. Rev. ed. Salt Lake City. UT: Ancestry, 2004. Free digital version at Ancestry Wiki; FHL Collection; WorldCat entry. Contains bibliographies and background information on history and ethnic groups. Also contains maps and tables showing when each county was created.
- Hicks, Theresa M., South Carolina: A Guide for Genealogists, Rev. Ed., [Columbia,SC]: Columbia Chapter, South Carolina Genealogical Society, 1995. FHL Collection; WorldCat entry
- Holcomb, Brent Howard, A Guide to South Carolina Genealogical Research and Records, Columbia, SC: Brent H. Holcomb, 1998. FHL Collection; WorldCat entry
- Inventory of County Archives of South Carolina, 14 vol., Historical Records Survey; pub. Columbia, South Carolina, 1937-1941. FHL Collection; WorldCat entry
- Jones, Lewis P. Books and Articles on South Carolina History. Columbia, SC: University of South Carolina Press, 1991. FHL Collection; WorldCat entry
- McKown, Bryan F., Destroyed County Records in South Carolina, Columbia, SC: SC Department of Archives and History, c1996. FHL Collection; WorldCat entry
- Moore, John H. Research Materials in South Carolina. Columbia, SC, 1967. FHL Collection; WorldCat entry
- Schweitzer, George K. South Carolina Genealogical Research. Knoxville, TN: G. Schwitzer, 1985. FHL Collection;WorldCat entry.
- Turnbull, Robert C. Bibliography of South Carolina, 1563-1950, 6 vol. Charlottesville, VA., 1956-1960. WorldCat entry
SCMar is a major publisher of South Carolina genealogical resources. Online bookstore.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page