St. Georges Parish, Spotsylvania, VirginiaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
In 1892, the Ladies' Cemetery Guild of St. George's Church published a survey of the graves and a history of the cemetery. Their book is available online at FamilySearch Books Online
WPA made a survey of the graves at St George's Church in 1936. It is available at the Rappahannock Library in Fredericksburg.
The noted genealogist George Harrison Sanford King transcribed the tombstones in 1940: FHL Film 850092 Item 1.
The USGenWeb Archives, available online, includes transcripts of many graves found there in a 1999/2000 survey.
- Slaughter, Philip and R.A. Brock. History of St. George's Parish in the County of Spotsylvania, and Diocese of Virginia: With a Biography of the Author and a Continuation, Embracing the History of St. George's and Trinity Churches to the Present Time. Richmond, Va.: J.W. Randolph & English, 1890. Digital version at Google Books; 1998 reprint: FHL Collection.
Colonial parish registers do not survive.
The original St. George's Parish Vestry Books (1727-1843) are kept at the Library of Virginia. Published abstracts:
- "Vestry Book, Saint George's Parish, Spotsylvania County, 1726-1745," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 41, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1997):63-72; Vol. 41, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1997):141-148; Vol. 41, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1997):194-204; Vol. 41, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1997):264-274; Vol. 42, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1998):18-28; Vol. 42, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1998):102-110; Vol. 42, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1998):171-182. Digital version at American Ancestors ($).
- St. George's Episcopal Church (official website). Includes history, visitor directions, church schedule.
- ↑ Freddie Spradlin, "Parishes of Virginia," VAGenWeb, accessed 29 January 2011; Hening's Statutes at Large; Emily J. Salmon and Edward D.C. Campbell Jr., The Hornbook of Virginia History (Richmond: Library of Virginia, 1994).
- ↑ Margaret C. Klein, Tombstone Inscriptions of Spotsylvania County, Virginia (Palm Coast, Fla.: M.C. Klein, 1983), 68.
- ↑ William Meade, Old Churches, Ministers and Families of Virginia, 2 vols. (Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott and Co., 1861). Digital versions at Internet Archive: Vol. I and Vol. II.
- This page was last modified on 12 April 2014, at 19:17.
- This page has been accessed 5,438 times.