St. Johns Parish, Virginia

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
m
(Colonial parish registers do not survive.)
Line 23: Line 23:
 
==== Parish History  ====
 
==== Parish History  ====
  
==== Parish Records ====
+
==== Parish Records ====
 +
 
 +
Colonial parish registers do not survive.
  
 
== Websites  ==
 
== Websites  ==

Revision as of 23:38, 24 September 2011

United States  Gotoarrow.png  Virginia  Gotoarrow.png  St. John's Parish

Contents

History

St. John's Parish has served New Kent, King and Queen, and King William counties. It was formed from part of Stratton Major Parish

Church services are no longer held at the old building, which has been renovated, but it is available for hire for special events.[1]

Church services are held in the new building.

Founded

Boundary

"An Act for dividing St. John's Parish, in the County of King-William" (1720) culled from Colonial Office sources at the National Archives in London, is published in:

  • Chamberlayne, Churchill G. "Seven Parish Acts Heretofore Unpublished," The William and Mary Quarterly, Vol. 18, No. 1 (Jan. 1938):106-118. FHL Book 973 H25w; digital version at JSTOR ($).

Resources

Parish History

Parish Records

Colonial parish registers do not survive.

Websites

References

  1. Historic St. John's Church, accessed 26 February 2011.
  2. Freddie Spradlin, "Parishes of Virginia," VAGenWeb, accessed 29 January 2011; Hening's Statutes at Large; Emily J. Salmon and Edward D.C. Campbell Jr., The Hornbook of Virginia History (Richmond: Library of Virginia, 1994).