St Dunstan in the WestEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
London St Dunstan in the West family history and genealogy research page. Guide to parish registers (baptisms, christenings, marriages, and burials), civil registration (births, marriages, and deaths), census records, history, wills, cemetery, online transcriptions and indexes, an interactive map and website resources.
|Online St Dunstan in the West Parish Register Images and Indexes|
|Images||1558-1812 Ancestry baptisms, marriages, and burials|
NOTE: The parish of St. Dunstan in the West during the mid 1700's has quite a few christening entries for Black people, for people born in other countries such as America and the Philipines, and for foundlings. It might be helpful to also be aware that there are entries with a child's name and the parents' given names but no surname. There are three times that this happened between 1758 and 1768.
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, nonconformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
- 1541 London Subsidy Roll, Farringdon Ward Without - Saynt Dunstones Parysshe, courtesy: British History Online
- St Dunstan in the West, Farringdon Without Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/145/145); copy: FHL Film 2228700.
- 1582 London Subsidy Roll, Farringdon Ward Without - St Dunstones Parishe, courtesy: British History Online
- St Dunstan in the West, Farringdon Without Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/147/505); copy: FHL Film 2228702.
- St Dunstan in the West, Farringdon Without Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/147/537); copy: FHL Film 2228703.
1638 Inhabitants List
- St Dunstan in the West, Farringdon Ward Without, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/147/590 Part 12); copy: FHL Film 2228704.
1666 Hearth Tax
1692-1932 Land Taxes
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Will indexes for probate courts covering St Dunstan in the West Parish are available online.
Go to London Probate Records to find the names of the courts having secondary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish.
Transcripts of early St Dunstan in the West tombs found in the interior of the church were published in Catalogue of the most Memorable Persons who had visible Tombs, plated Gravestones ... in the City of London (through) A.D. 1700, which is available online.
Records of the Poor
Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.
- An Historical Account of the Constitution of the Vestry of the Parish of St. Dunstan's in the West, London. London: John Morphew, 1714. Digital version at Google Books.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites(The London Family History Centre Catalogue is a terrific resource for identifying FamilySearch's London collections).
- London Family History Centre Catalogue
- St Dunstan-in-the-West (official website). Photographs, history, visitor directions.
- Sketch of St Dunstan in the West Parish Church (1829), courtesy: London Ancestor
- Society of Genealogists Library Catalogue (to narrow results, conduct a subject search for 'London St Dunstan in the West')
- ↑ London, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St Dunstan in the West in the City of London. Marriages from 1754 to 1812 are not included in this database. Partially indexed.
- ↑ London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St Dunstan in the West in the City of London. Partially indexed.
- ↑ London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St Dunstan in the West in the City of London. Partially indexed.
- ↑ London, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St Dunstan in the West in the City of London. Partially indexed.
- ↑ Batch C096741, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (A-M), England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 8 June 2011. Indexes parish register transcripts.
- ↑ 'Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county,' Origins.net, accessed 12 June 2011; Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists Enterprises Ltd., 1994). FHL Book 942 K22L 1994
- ↑ 'Boyd's London Burials Index - places and counts,' Find My Past, accessed 8 June 2011. Indexes adult male burials only.
- ↑ Batches M096741-M096742, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (A-M), England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 8 June 2011.
- ↑ John Hanson, 'City of London Burials,' Find My Past, accessed 8 June 2011.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes (n.p.: n.p., n.d.). FHL British Book 942 V25pm
- ↑ Payne Fisher and G. Blacker Morgan, Catalogue of the Tombs in the Churches of the City of London, A.D. 1666 (1668; reprint, London: Hasell, Watson, Viney, Ld., 1885). Digitised by Internet Archive.
- ↑ Andrew Oliver, A List of Monumental Brasses in the City of London Churches (1891). Digitized by Internet Archive.
- ↑ Percy C. Rushden, The Churchyard Inscriptions of the City of London (London: Phillimore and Co., Ltd., 1910). Digitised by Internet Archive.
- ↑ James Elmes, A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Environs (London: Whittaker, Treacher and Arnot, 1831). Adapted. Digitised by Google Books.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More