St Giles in the Fields, MiddlesexEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, nonconformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Census and Inhabitants Lists
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438788.
1666 Hearth Tax
1693-1694 Four Shilling in the Pound Aid
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Middlesex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Poor Law Unions
Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
'St Giles in the Fields, the church of, is situated on the south side of the High Street, and receives its addition from the circumstance of being formerly in the Fields, to distinguish it from that of St Giles, Cripplegate. This parish was anciently a village of the same name, and its church is supposed to owe its origin to the chapel which belonged to the hospital founded about 1117, by Queen Matilda, consort of Henry I, for the reception of a certain number of leprous persons belonging to the city of London and the county of Middlesex. In 1354, Edward III granted this hospital to the master and brethren of the order of Burton, St Lazar, of Jerusalem, in Leicestershire, for certain considerations, for which it became a cell to that order, till the general dissolution of religious houses by Henry VIII, who, in 1545, granted it to Lord Dudley. Soon after this period the chapel or church was made parochial, and on the 30th of April 1547, William Rawlinson was instituted Rector.
'The ancient church being very small, and much dilapidated, was taken down in 1623, and a church of brick was erected in its stead. This also became in its turn too small and inconvenient, when the inhabitants applied for an act of parliament to enable them to rebuild it; accordingly the old fabric was taken down in 1730, and the present very handsome edifice, designed by Gibbs, was erected and completed in 1733. This substantial church is built of Portland stone, its interior is seventy-five feet in length, exclusive of the recess for the altar, and sixty feet in width, and is divided into nave and aisles, by Portland stone columns of the Ionic order, which assist the main walls in carrying the roof. The tower and spire are also of Portland stone, and are 160 feet high to the vane.
'A new entrance gateway, of great beauty, has been within these twenty years erected, from the designs of William Leverton, Esq, in which is introduced an ancient piece of sculpture, of more curiosity than beauty, representing the Last Judgement. The church is a rectory, in the county and archdeaconry of Middlesex, in the diocese of London and in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor.'
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- ↑ London, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as St Giles in the Fields in Camden Borough. Marriages from 1800 to 1812 are not included in this database. Partially indexed.
- ↑ London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Holborn St Giles in the Fields in Camden Borough. Partially indexed.
- ↑ London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Holborn St Giles in the Fields in Camden Borough. Partially indexed.
- ↑ London, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Holborn St Giles in the Fields in Camden Borough. Partially indexed.
- ↑ Batch C021551, see: Hugh Wallis, "IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (A-M), England," IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 17 March 2012. Described as Holborn St. Giles.
- ↑ "Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county," Origins.net, accessed 12 June 2011; Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists Enterprises Ltd., 1994). FHL Book 942 K22L 1994
- ↑ "Boyd's London Burials Index - places and counts," Find My Past, accessed 8 June 2011. Indexes adult male burials only.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes (n.p.: n.p., n.d.). FHL British Book 942 V25pm
- ↑ 'Church of St. Giles-in-the-Fields', Survey of London: volume 5: St Giles-in-the-Fields, pt II (1914), pp. 127-140. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=74293 Date accessed: 15 March 2012.
- ↑ James Elmes, A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Environs (London: Whittaker, Treacher and Arnot, 1831). Adapted. Digitised by Google Books.