Sussex GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The historic county of Sussex has been divided into East and West since the 12th century, and obtained separate county councils in 1888, but it remained a single ceremonial county until 1974 and the coming into force of the Local Government Act 1972.
- Looking 4 Kin Genealogy & Family History Network - Sussex
- GenUKI: Sussex
- Sussex Family History Group (SFHG)
- Sussex Online Parish Clerks (Sussex OPC)
- GenWeb: Sussex pages of the British Isles GenWeb part of the World GenWeb Projects
- The Weald The history, genealogy and topography of the Weald of Kent, Surrey and Sussex
- Sussex Records Society (SRS)
Mailing lists and Message Boards
- Sussex+ RootsWeb Mailing List
- Sussex+ RootsWeb Mailing List Searchable Archives
- Sussex RootsWeb Message Board
- GenForum Message Board for Sussex
- RootsChat Sussex Forum
- British Genealogy Sussex Forum
- West Sussex Records Office (WSRO)
- West Sussex Past Photographs Over 5000 images from the 1640s to the present
Use an interactive map to find jurisdictions for each parish in Sussex.
When civil registration of births, marriages and deaths began in 1837, Sussex was divided into a number of registration districts, each containing several parishes. The index to the civil records gives the name of the district where an event took place. Click here to see a list of the civil districts in Sussex and the parishes covered by each. Read more about England Civil Registration.
Burchall, Michael J. Roman Catholics in Sussex giving name, residence and value of estate. Article covers year 1715. To be found in magazine Sussex Family Historian. vol. 1. #5, June 1974. pages 115-116. Family History Library Ref. 942.52 B2 su
Before 1858, every town and parish in Sussex was under the probate jurisdiction of several ecclesiastical courts. To read more about probate records and see a list of Sussex towns and parishes and the probate courts that had jurisdiction over them, go to Sussex Probate Records.
These websites contain information of value for Sussex research:
- http://www.thesussexweald.org/home.asp - parish records, maps, books, pedigrees etc for the Weald an area 120 miles long and 30 miles wide encompassing many small towns in Sussex, Kent and Surrey.
- http://www.sussexrecordsociety.org/plhome.asp?an=&ap - Sussex poor Law records, settlements and removels
- http://www.barriesgenealogy.co.uk/html/broadwater_worthing.html - includes links to a variety of sources for Sussex.
- http://www.sussex-opc.org/- Sussex Online Parish Clerks
- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Burtenshaw/?yguid=138587594 - Burtenshaw family of or from Sussex
- Cyndi's List for Sussex lots of useful links here
To view a brief list of additional web sites and/or web pages for Sussex and many of its parishes, visit FHLFavorites.info.
Getting Help with your Genealogy
Professional Genealogists who specialize in Southeast England Research helps you compare the expertise, credentials, and rates of professional researchers who can help you access these records.
|English Channel||English Channel||English Channel|
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More