Tennessee For Further ReadingEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Several handbooks that give additional information about research, records, and record-finding aids in Tennessee are:
- Bamman, Gale Williams. Research in Tennessee. Arlington, Va.: National Genealogical Society, 1993. (FHL book 976.8 D27ba; computer number 714416.) This booklet gives a concise overview of the history and settlement, major archives, and record sources in Tennessee.
- Fulcher, Richard C. Guide to County Records and Genealogical Resources in Tennessee. Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing, 1987. (FHL book 976.8 A3f; computer number 444125.) This record contains an alphabetical list of counties with addresses of libraries, historical and genealogical societies, and the records available, with dates.
- Hathaway, Beverly West. Genealogical Research Sources in Tennessee. West Jordan, Utah: Allstate Research, 1972. (FHL book 976.8 D2h; computer number 255165.) This source contains a list of record types, addresses of libraries, archives, and historical societies, newspapers, county histories, and a list of counties showing the dates for which each type of record is available.
- McCay, Betty L. Sources for Genealogical Searching in Tennessee. N.p., 1970. (FHL book 976.8 A1 no.2; film 824106 item 5; computer number 236348.) This source gives background on Tennessee and types of records. It lists missing records for each county.
- Schweitzer, George K. Tennessee Genealogical Research. Knoxville, Tenn.: G.K. Schweitzer, 1986. (FHL book 976.8 D27sg; computer number 490921.) This source contains background information on Tennessee and a list of record sources. It gives the date each county was formed and the records available in each.
Additional sources are in the For Further Reading section of the United States Research Outline (30972) and the Place Search of the Family History Library Catalog under:
- TENNESSEE - GENEALOGY - HANDBOOKS, MANUALS, ETC.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More