Tennessee ObituariesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Previously deceased family members are frequently mentioned. Obituaries may indicate previous places of residence, immigration information, religion, and any social organizations or activities in which the deceased was involved.
Obituaries have been published in Tennessee since the late 1700s, some of which are online. Obituary files may also be kept in local public libraries and by newspaper publishers. Some obituaries have been published and indexed in genealogical periodicals.
Printed obituaries include:
- Garrett, Jill L. Obituaries from Tennessee Newspapers. Easley, South Carolina: Southern Historical Press, 1980. FHL book 976.8 V4g The record contains obituaries from the early 1800's to the early 1900's. The entries contain the date, place, cause of death, and may include other vital information. The record is arranged alphabetically.
- Lucas, Silas Emmett. Obituaries from Early Tennessee Newspapers, 1794–1851. Easley, South Carolina: Southern Historical Press, 1978. FHL book 976.8 V4L The entries contain date, place, cause of death, and may include other vital information. The record is alphabetical.
See the United States Newspapers and Tennessee Newspapers wiki articles for help in locating newspapers that published obituaries. See the Tennessee Archives and Libraries article for facilities with regional collections which might include obituaries.
Obituaries and indexes from a few individual newspapers can be found in the FamilySearch Catalog, using the Locality Search for:
TENNESSEE - NEWSPAPERS
TENNESSEE, [COUNTY], NEWSPAPERS
TENNESSEE, [COUNTY], [TOWN] - NEWSPAPERS
- TN Historical News Database - complication of absracts from Tennessee newspapers; obituaries included
- Genealogy Buff
- Tennessee newspapers on Chronicling America - full-text, historical newspapers; you can search for obituary information.
- This page was last modified on 18 July 2014, at 22:57.
- This page has been accessed 5,685 times.