Terrebonne Parish, Louisiana GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Terrebonne Parish Louisiana genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Terrebonne Parish, Louisiana|
Location in the state of Louisiana
Location of Louisiana in the U.S.
|Founded||March 22, 1822|
|Address|| 7856 Main Street|
For animated maps illustrating Louisiana Parish boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Louisiana Parish Boundary Maps" (1805-1990) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Louisiana Parishes see: Louisiana Parishes with Burned Courthouses
Places / Localities
Neighboring Parishes or Counties
- Louisiana African American Griots Project ~ USGenWeb Project
- Afrigeneas - African Ancestored Genealogy
- LA Tombstone Transcription Project ~ partial records and photos ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Interment.net ~ LA cemetery records by county
- African American Cemeteries ~ listing by county
- FindaGrave.com ~ cemetery records with search by cemetery, by surname
|Terrebonne Parish Census Data|
- Louisiana Census Images ~ USGenWeb Census Images Project
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Louisiana denominations, view the Louisiana Church Records wiki page.
St. Francois de Sales Catholic Church, Houma
- 1848-1862 - St. Francois de Sales Catholic Church, Houma, Baptism Index 1848-1862. Batch C541061 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1862-1875 - St. Francois de Sales Catholic Church, Houma, Baptism Index 1862-1875. Batch C541062 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1848-1859 - St. Francois de Sales Catholic Church, Houma, Marriage Index 1848-1859. Batch M541061 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1859-1873 - St. Francois de Sales Catholic Church, Houma, Marriage Index 1848-1859. Batch M541011 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1876-1885 - St. Francois de Sales Catholic Church, Houma, Marriage Index 1876-1885. Batch M541012 at FamilySearch - free.
Sacred Heart Catholic Church, Montegut
- 1864-1871 - Sacred Heart Catholic Church, Montegut, Marriage Index 1864-1871. Batch M541051 at FamilySearch - free.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Louisiana Land and Property for additional information about early Louisiana land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse where records are also currently housed.
Local histories are available for Terrebonne Parish, Louisiana Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Louisiana Local Histories. Louisiana Museums
Regiments. Service men in Terrebonne Parish, Louisiana Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Terrebonne Parish, Louisiana Genealogy:
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Terrebonne Parish, Louisiana Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records before 1845 were kept in probate courts. Since 1845, they have been kept by the Terrebonne Parish, Louisiana Genealogy clerk of the district court. Many of the probate records are included in the notarial records with the deeds and mortgages. In some parishes they are known as “succession” records.
See the Wiki page Louisiana Probate Records for more information about probate records in Louisiana.
Content: Probate records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Louisiana Probate Records ~ information on.
Louisiana tax records can be used in place of missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Louisiana Taxation.
Louisiana statewide registration of birth and death records began in 1911. Births and deaths are kept by the Louisiana Vital Records Registry. Marriages were recorded by each parish, and the records are at the parish clerk of court office. See also How to order Louisiana Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Louisiana Vital Records for more information on getting Louisiana records.
Louisiana Records and Statistics Information ~ where and how to order information.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Terrebonne Parish, LA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- LAGenWeb - Louisiana State Records
- USGenWeb ~ Records, Maps, Archives and Other Projects
- Louisiana Archives ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Family History Library Catalog
- Terrebonne Parish, Louisiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed., Terrebonne Carroll Parish, Louisiana p 293 (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ United States Census Bureau. "Terrebonne Parish Quickfacts". http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/22/22109.html. Retrieved 2008-02-02.
- ↑ United States Census Bureau. "Louisiana Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/la190090.txt. Retrieved 2008-02-02.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/c/c2/Igilouisiana.pdf.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News