Texas County, Missouri
From FamilySearch Wiki
(added church intro)
|Line 59:||Line 59:|
==== Church ====
==== Court ====
==== Court ====
Revision as of 20:33, 13 June 2013
Guide to Texas County Missouri genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Texas County, Missouri|
Location of Missouri in the U.S.
|Founded||February 17, 1843|
|Address|| Texas County Courthouse|
210 N Grand Avenue;
Houston, MO 65483-1226
Texas County Website
Recorder Deeds has marriage records from 1855 and
land records from 1845; Clerk ciruit Court has divorce
and court recordsc from 1855; Associate Circuit Court
has probate records from 1850
See an interactive map of Texas County border changes at N2Genealogy.
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all 114 Missouri Counties.
For tips on accessing Texas County, Missouri census records online, see: Missouri Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Missouri denominations, view the Missouri Church Records wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Missouri Land and Property for information about records of land transfers from the government to private ownership. After that transfer, transactions were usually recorded and are currently housed at the county courthouse.
Local histories are available for Texas County, Missouri. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section Missouri Local Histories.
- Biographies from The History of Texas County, Missouri (1889) published by Goodspeed are available free on the My Genealogy Hound website.
- Family Maps of Texas County, Missouri (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Map of Texas County townships (Histopolis)
- The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including Texas County. The city of St. Louis is not included in this collection.
- Map of 1904 Texas County with numerous small settlements (My Genealogy Hound)
In Missouri, probate records have usually been recorded by the clerks of the probate courts, but in some counties the common pleas or circuit courts handled this function. They are frequently indexed.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Missouri Taxation.
St. Louis and Kansas City recorded births and deaths starting as early as 1850 for deaths and 1870 for births. The Missouri Department of Health began keeping birth and death records in 1909. County records vary by year and the county. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Missouri Vital Records State Department of Health or the County Clerk's office.
- 1850-1855 - Texas County Marriage Index 1850-1855. Batch M515861 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1855-1882 - Texas County Marriage Index 1855-1882. Batch M515862 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1881-1885 - Texas County Marriage Index 1881-1885. Batch M515863 at FamilySearch - free.
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
- 1883 - Texas County Death Index 1883. Batch B514629 at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Texas County, Missouri. Page 406 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/f/f4/Igimissourir.pdf.
|This Missouri-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.