Torrance County, New MexicoEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Torrance County Courthouse
9th & Allen;
Estancia, NM 87016
County Clerk has marriage, informal probate records and land records from 1911; Clerk of the District Court has divorce and court records.
- Up until 1821 - New Spain controlled land that later would become New Mexico and Arizona. Some records of early settlers may have been sent to an archives in Seville, Spain, or to archives in Mexico City.
- From 1821 until 1846 - Mexico had jurisdiction over the land that later would become New Mexico and Arizona. Some records of this period may have been sent to archives in Mexico City. Starting in 1846 United States forces occupied New Mexico during the Mexican-American War.
- 1848 - Land that became Torrance County formally became a part of the United States when the Mexican-American War ended with ratification of the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo.
- 1903--Torrance County was created 16 March 1903 from Lincoln, San Miguel, Socorro, Santa Fe, Valencia, and Bernalillo Counties.
For tips on accessing Torrance County, New Mexico census records online, see: New Mexico Census.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Torrance County, New Mexico page 475, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
|This New Mexico-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page