United States Census Veterans SchedulesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
1840 Veterans Schedules
When the 1840 census was taken, the enumerators listed living pensioners of the Revolutionary War or other military service on the back of the population schedules. They listed pensioners' ages and persons with whom they were living.
Indexes to this material include:
- "A General Index to a Census of Pensioners For Revolutionary or Military Service" (FHL book 973 X2pc index 1965; film 0899835; fiche 6046771) (Worldcat) The index lists alphabetically both the veteran and the head of the family with whom the pensioner resided.
- "United States Census of Pensioners of 1840: Index of Names with Ages to the Original 1841 Government Publication" (FHL 973 X2pc index 1984) (WorldCat).
Where to Find the Records
The names are published in "A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census". This book is available from the following:
- Revolutionary War Pensioner Census, 1841 (Ancestry) ($)
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services... (Google Books)
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services... (U.S. Census Bureau)
1890 Veterans Schedules
Along with the 1890 census, separate schedules were made of Union Civil War veterans or their widows. Confederate veterans were mistakenly listed as well. The "Special Schedules of the Eleventh Census (1890) Enumerating Union Veterans and Widows of Union Veterans of the Civil War" (NARA M123) (118 microfilm rolls).
Nearly all of the schedules for the states of Alabama through Kansas and those for western half of Kentuckywere destroyed prior to microfilming. The schedules for the remaining half of Kentucky and the states of Louisiana through Wyoming are available in this collection.
In addition to the states mentioned above, the following miscellaneous schedules are included on roll 118 of the veterans schedules:
- California - Alcatraz
- Connecticut - Fort Trumbull
- Connecticut - Hartford County Hospital
- Connecticut - U.S. Naval Station
- Delaware - Delaware State Hospital for the Insane
- District of Columbia - Lincoln Post #3
- Florida - Fort Barrancas
- Florida - St. Francis Barracks
- Idaho - Boise Barracks
- Idaho - Fort Sherman
- Illinois - Cook County
- Illinois - Henderson County
- Indiana - Warrick County
- Indiana - White County
- Kansas - Barton County
The records give name, rank, company, regiment or vessel, dates of enlistment and discharge, length of service, residence, disability, and remarks.
See the official NARA pamphlet explaining these records in detail at M123.pdf.
Where to Find the Records
The surviving 1890 Veterans Schedules are available online.
- 1890 Veterans Schedules (Ancestry) ($)
- United States, 1890 Census of Union Veterans and Widows of the Civil War (FamilySearch)
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 William Thorndale, and William Dollarhide, Map Guide to the U.S. Federal Censuses, 1790-1920 (Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1987) p. 132 has a map that showing that 1890 veterans schedules exist for 65 eastern Kentucky counties including these on the dividing line: Gallatin, Owen, Franklin, Woodford, Jessamine, Garrard, Boyle, Casey, Adair, and Cumberland. The 1890 veterans schedules for the 54 counties west of that line are lost. (Worldcat).
- ↑ United States. National Archives and Records Service. Pamphlet Describing M123: Special Schedules of The Eleventh Census (1890) Enumerating Union Veterans and Widows of Union Veterans of the Civil War. Washington, D.C., National Archives And Record Service, Pub. date unknown
- William Dollarhide, The Census Book: A Genealogist's Guide to Federal Census Facts, Schedules and Indexes. (Bountiful, Utah: Heritage Quest, 1999.) (FHL 973 X27d). WorldCat entry.
- Loretto Dennis Szucs, and Matthew Wright, Finding Answers in U.S. Census Records. (Orem, Utah: Ancestry, 2001) (FHL 973 X27s). WorldCat entry.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki