Upper Arkansas Indian AgencyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency
The Upper Arkansas Agency was established in 1855 to serve the Indians living along the Arkansas River in what is now eastern Colorado and western Kansas. The principal tribes for which this agency was responsible were the Southern Cheyenne and Arapaho, although the Kiowa, Comanche, Apache (Kiowa-Apache) and Caddo were also under their jurisdiction for a time. These tribes had previously been assigned to the Upper Platte Agency.
The agency was under the Colorado Superinendency 1861-1880
In 1864, a separate Kiowa Agency was created, which took jurisdiction over all but the Cheyenne and Arapaho tribes.
The agency moved often and was at the following locations for the years listed:
- 1855-1861 -- at Bent's Fort in Colorado
- 1861-1862 -- at Fort Wise in Kansas
- 1862-1866 -- at Fort Lyon in Kansas (with a short stay at Fort Zarah in Kansas)
- 1866-1869 -- at Fort Larned in Kansas
- 1869-1874 -- at Darlington, Oklahoma, due to the move of the Cheyenne and Arapaho to Oklahoma.
Agents and Appointment Dates
John W. Whitfield 1855, Robert C. Miller 1855, William W. Bent 1859, Albert G. Boone October 17, 1860, Samuel G. Colley July 26, 1861, and Ichabod C. Taylor August 3, 1865, Edward W. Wynkoop 1866, Brinton Darlington 1869, John D. Miles 1872 
Letters received by the Office of Indian Affairs from the Upper Arkansas Agency, 1855-1874, have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of their Microcopy Number M234, rolls 878-882. Copies are available at the National Archives and at the Family History Library and its family history centers (their microfilm roll numbers 1661608 thru 1661612).
- ↑ Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974, pp. 182-184.
- ↑ The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. By Edward E. Hill. Clearwater Publishing Co., New York, NY ©1974. FHL Book 970.1 H551o
- ↑ American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998, Microcopy M234, p. 8.
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Marquette University. Guide to Cathoilic-Related Records in the Midwest about Native Americans.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online