User:Ldrew/Sandbox8Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Lincoln is a surname.
Origin of the Lincoln Surname
The Lincoln surname is found across much of the English speaking world.
Meaning: "From the lake colony," or one who came from Lincoln, England. Derived from the Welsh element 'lynn,' meaning "lake or pool" and the Latin element 'colonia,' meaning "colony."
The vast movement of people that followed the Norman Conquest of England of 1066 brought the Lincoln family name to the British Isles. They lived in the city of Lincoln in Lincolnshire. The place-name is derived from the British name Lindo which means lake, and the Latin word, colonia, which means settlement or colony. During the Roman occupation of England, the town was an important administrative center. Later, during the Middle Ages, it was a center for cloth manufacturing and is famous for the "Lincoln Green"
A multitude of spelling variations characterize Norman surnames. Many variations occurred because Old and Middle English lacked any definite spelling rules. The introduction of Norman French to England also had a pronounced effect, as did the court languages of Latin and French. Therefore, one person was often referred to by several ifferent spelings in a single lifetime. the various spellings include Lincoln, Lincolne, Lincome and others.
First found in Lincolnshire where they held a family seat from very early times, and were granted lands by Duke William of Normandy, their liege Lord, for their distinguished assistance at the Battle of Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Notable people with the Lincoln surname
Family of President Abraham Lincoln
- Abraham Lincoln (1809–1865), the 16th US president
- Samuel Lincoln (c. 1622–1690), immigrant ancestor of the president
- Abraham Lincoln (captain) (1744–1786), grandfather of the president
- Thomas Lincoln (1778–1851), father of the president
- Nancy Lincoln (1784–1818), mother of the president
- Mary Todd Lincoln (1818–1882), wife of the president
- Robert Todd Lincoln (1843–1926), son of the president
- Edward Baker Lincoln (1846–1850), son of the president
- William Wallace Lincoln (1850–1862), son of the president
- Thomas "Tad" Lincoln (1853–1871), son of the president
- Abraham Lincoln II (1873–1890), son of Robert Todd Lincoln
- Gatewood Lincoln (1875–1957), first cousin once removed of the president and two-time governor of American Samoa
- Andrew Lincoln (born 1973), British actor
- Benjamin Lincoln (1733–1810), American Revolutionary War general
- Blanche Lincoln (born 1960), Arkansas senator
- Frederic Lincoln (disambiguation)
- Harry J. Lincoln (1878–1937), 20th-century ragtime and waltz composer
- Henry Lincoln (born 1930), British author and actor
- Holly Lincoln (born 1985), Canadian football (soccer) forward
- Lar Park Lincoln (born 1961), American actress
Additional information about individuals with the 'Lincoln' surname can be found on:
- FamilySearch Wiki - Search for records by location or type of record. Individual genealogies are NOT included on the FamilySearch Wiki
- FamilySearch - Search for Individuals by name. Results include records and patron submitted genealogies.
- Subscription Sites - Search for individuals by name on ($) subscription sites
- Personal Genealogy Sites - Search for individuals by name - Always confirm data found on them with primary and secondary sources that you've found in your own research.
Using the Wiki for Research
Keys to success using the Wiki
Wiki Search Tips