Virginia Historical IndexEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
A comprehensive index to several publications concerning Virginia history and genealogy, compiled under the direction of Dr. Earl Gregg Swem (1870-1965).
- The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, volumes 1-38 (1893-1930)
- William and Mary College Quarterly Magazine first series, volumes 1-27 (1892-1919)
- William and Mary College Quarterly Magazine second series, volumes 1-10 (1921-1930)
- Tyler's Quarterly Historical and Genealogical Magazine, volumes 1-10 (1919-1929)
- Virginia Historical Register and Literary Advertiser, volumes 1-6 (1848-1853)
- The Lower Norfolk County Virginia Antiquary, volumes 1-5 (1895-1906)
- Hening's Statutes at Large, volumes 1-13 (1619-1792)
- Calendar of Virginia State Papers, volumes 1-11 (1652-1869).
The index has been digitized and can be searched in personal at the Earl Gregg Swem library at the College of William and Mary. Digital versions of some articles are linked to the index.
Entries in the index are referenced by volume number, abbreviation of publication title, and page number, for example, "Nicholas, Wilson Cary 11V295" or "Cape Henry 7T22."
For more information about the Virginia Historical Index, see "Using the Virginia Historical Index (Swem) at the Library of Virginia" a research guide on the Library of Virginia website.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News