Virginia PeriodicalsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
A variety of genealogical material has been published in periodicals, including transcripts from cemeteries, Bibles, census, court records, and pedigrees. An index to several significant periodicals and other published sources is:
- Swem, Earl Gregg. Virginia Historical Index. Two Volumes in four. 1934-1936. Reprint, Gloucester, Massachusetts: Peter Smith, 1965. FHL Book 975.5 H22s 1965; Films 485948-49; FHL Fiche 6046961.)
Two major periodicals helpful for Virginia research have been digitized by JSTOR. They can be keyword searched for any word in the articles:
- William and Mary Quarterly (formerly William and Mary College Quarterly Historical Magazine). 1892-. Published by the Institute of Early American History and Culture, P.O. Box 220, Williamsburg, Virginia 23187. This has been published in three series: first series (1892-1920), second series (1921-1943), and third series (1944-present). FHL Book 973 H25w; first series to volume 27  and second series to volume 23  on Family History Library films FHL Films 001254-74.) The first series and the second series through 1930 are indexed in Swem's Virginia Historical Index. Compiled alphabetical reprints are cited in the “Genealogy” section. Digitized by JSTOR ($).
- Virginia Magazine of History and Biography. 1894-. Published by the Virginia Historical Society, P.O. Box 7311, Richmond, Virginia 23221. FHL Book 975.5 B2v; some early volumes on microfilm beginning with film 833381.) Indexed to 1930 through Swem's Virginia Historical Index. Compiled alphabetical reprints are cited in the “Genealogy” section. Digititized by JSTOR ($).
Additional major Virginia periodicals are:
- Magazine of Virginia Genealogy (formerly Quarterly of the Virginia Genealogical Society). 1963-. Published by the Virginia Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 7469, Richmond, Virginia 23221. FHL Book 975.5 B2vs. Vols. 1 to 40 digitized by Ancestry ($).
- Tyler's Quarterly Historical and Genealogical Magazine. 1919-52. Published by Mrs. Lyon G. Tyler. FHL Book 973 B2t; some volumes are on microfilm. This is indexed through 1929 in Swem's Virginia Historical Index. Compiled alphabetical reprints are cited in the “Genealogy” section.
- The Virginia Genealogist. 1957-. Published by John Frederick Dorman, P.O. Box 4883, Washington, DC 20008. 975.5 B2vg; Volumes 1-12 on FHL CD-ROM No. 1277. There are cumulative indexes for volumes 1-20, 21-35, and 36-50 in book form and on compact disc. Digitized by American Ancestors ($).
- Virginia Appalachian Notes. 1977-. Published by the Southwestern Virginia Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 12485, Roanoke, Virginia 24026. 975.5 D25v.
- The Southside Virginian. 1982-. Published by Lyndon H. Hart and J. Christian Kolbe, P.O. Box 118, Richmond, Virginia 23201. 975.5 D25s.
- Virginia Tidewater Genealogy. 1970-. Published by the Tidewater Genealogical Society, 14415 Old Courthouse Way, Newport News, VA 23608. 975.5 D25vt; FHL Films 1955382-384, volumes 1-24.
- Sons of the Revolution in the State of Virginia Quarterly Magazine. 1922-1932. Volumes 1-10. Published by the Sons of the Revolution in the State of Virginia. FHL Book 975.5 B2s; fiche 6048982-91. Indexed in Kathryn Barclay, Index to Sons of the Revolution in the State of Virginia Quarterly Magazine (Norfolk, Virginia: Norfolk Genealogical Society, 1984; FHL Book 975.5 B2s index. Includes Part II: Slaves and Free Men of Color. These persons are mentioned in this magazine.
- The Huguenot. 1924-. Published by the Huguenot Society of the Founders of Manakin in the Colony of Virginia, Inc., 981 Huguenot Trail, Midlothian, Virginia 23113, Telephone: 804-794-5702. 975.5 B2hm. Indexed in Master Index to The Huguenot (Bryan, Texas: Family History Foundation, 1986; FHL Book 975.5 B2hm index; Film 1697534.
- The Southwest Virginian, FHL Book 975.57 D25s.
For nationwide indexes to some of these and other family history periodicals, see:
PERiodical Source Index (PERSI). Ft. Wayne, Indiana: Allen County Public Library Foundation, 1987-present. Indexes more than 11,000 family history periodicals (including 3,000 defunct titles). Search PERSI at Ancestry.com or HeritageQuest.org.
For more family history periodicals, search the Family History Library Catalog Place Search under:
VIRGINIA - PERIODICALS
VIRGINIA, [COUNTY] - PERIODICALS
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback