Wapping, MiddlesexEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
WAPPING St. John the Evangelist, a parish, adjoining the city of London on the east, in the union of Stepney, Tower division of the hundred of Ossulstone, County of Middlesex. There is a place of worship for Roman Catholics.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Census and Inhabitants Lists
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438823.
1666 Hearth Tax
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Middlesex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Poor Law Unions
Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848). Adapted. Date accessed: 24 January 2014.
- ↑ London, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as St John of Wapping in Tower Hamlets Borough. Marriages from 1754 to 1812 are not included in this database. Partially indexed.
- ↑ London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Wapping in Tower Hamlets Borough. Partially indexed.
- ↑ London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Wapping in Tower Hamlets Borough. Partially indexed.
- ↑ London, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Wapping in Tower Hamlets Borough. Partially indexed.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 'Online Parish Register Search,' ParishRegister.com, accessed 12 March 2012.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes (n.p.: n.p., n.d.). FHL British Book 942 V25pm
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page