Washington County, Tennessee GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Has anyone studied my Washington County, Tennessee family before?
Message boards and online family trees can help you learn if someone is actively researching your ancestors. More than 25 books or articles have been published about Washington County's families. Descendants of some historic residents have had their DNA tested.
- Main article: Washington County, Tennessee
Gordon Aronhime (1911-1983) collected information on hundreds of Southwest Virginia and East Tennessee pioneers. His note cards, which reference more than 4,000 early settlers of the Holston-Clinch River area and East Tennessee (1770s-1790s), are held at the Library of Virginia. The cards have been digitized and made available online.
For early settlers (pre-1796), start with:
- East Tennessee Historical Society. First Families of Tennessee: A Register of Early Settlers and Their Present-day Descendants. Knoxville, Tenn.: East Tennessee Historical Society, 2000. FHL 976.8 H2ff.
Books that discuss multiple local families include:
- Goodspeed's History of Tennessee Containing Historical and Biographical Sketches of Thirty East Tennessee Counties: Anderson, Blount, Bradley, Campbell, Carter, Claiborne, Cocke, Grainger, Greene, Hamblen, Hamilton, Hancock, Hawkins, James, Jefferson, Johnson, Knox, Loudon, McMinn, Meigs, Monroe, Morgan, Polk, Rhea, Roane, Sevier, Sullivan, Unicoi, Union, Washington. Nashville, Tenn.: Goodspeed Pub. Co., 1887. 1972 reprint: FHL 976.8 H2h v. 2 1972; digital index with some abstracts at TNGenWeb; Free Lookups Available!
- Watauga Association of Genealogists. History of Washington County, Tennessee, 1988. n.p.: Walsworth Press, 1988. FHL 976.897 H2h. Free Lookups Available!
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Barnes] Barnes, Logan G. The Barnes and Correlated Families, ca. 1578-1948. Typescript, microfilmed 1985. FHL 1035740 Item 5.
- [Barron] Barron, William Paul. The Barron Family in America, 1635-1983: from Talbot Co., Maryland to All Parts West: With Notes on Related Families, Boyd, Carlton, Jackson, McBee, McKenzie, McKinney, Phelps, Vaught, Whitaker, Walker, Walters. Forostia, Ohio: Family Heritage Publications, c1984. Digital version at Family History Archives.
- [Beckelhimer] Kerns, Gloria Lambert and Diane Sims. Beckelhimer: Family Records. MSS., Larkin Edwards Room, Shreveport Memorial Library, Shreveport, La. Micorfilmed 2001. Copy: FHL Film 2243264 Item 1.
- [Bell] Foster, Craig L. George Bell of Blount and Washington Counties, Tennessee and His Descendents Through His Two Sons, John B. and Samuel S. Bell. Layton, Utah: C.L. Foster, 1992. FHL 929.273 B413fcL.
- [Bell] Bell, Eldon Raymond. Bells History: Of Shenandoah Valley, VA and Knox County, TN. Springdale, Ark.: E.R. Bell, 1994. FHL 929.273 B413ber.
- [Billingsley] Hill, Samuel Billingsley. Billingsley. Calif.: n.p., 195-?. A portion of this was written in 1919. FHL 1320843 Item 7.
- [Blair] Webb, Margaret Vance and Blair Society for Genealogical Research. John Blair: "The Miller" of Washington County, Tennessee. Knoxville, Tenn.: Tennessee Valley Pub., 1993. FHL 929.273 B575wm.
- [Bogart] Bogart, John A. Samuel and Henry Bogart of Tennessee; Their Descendants. Magala, CA: E.P. Bogart, 1978.
- [Campbell] Campbell Family Information, ca. 1718-1915; MSS., Clan Campbell Society, Baton Rouge, La.. FHL 1787180 Item 13.
- [Campbell] Anderson, Hazel D. and Don Warwick. The Campbell Family. 3 vols. Quail Valley, Calif.: H.D. Anderson, 1980. FHL 929.273 C152ah.
- [Carmichael] Webb, Margaret Vance. John Carmichael of Washington County, Tennessee: Ancestry & Descendants. Knoxville, Tenn.: M.V. Webb, 1993. FHL Book 929.273 C212w.
- [Carr] Belew, W.W. Belew. 1995? FHL Book 929.273 B411bw.
- [Carter] Armstrong, Zella. Notable Southern Families. Chattanooga, Tenn.: Lookout Publishing Company, 1922. Vol. 2. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
- [Carter] Carter, David Wendel. Carter of Tennessee, Including the Taylors: Descendants of Colonel John Carter of Tennessee. Chattanooga, Tenn.: Lookout Publishing, c1927. Digital version at Item 5 Family History Archives; FHL Film 1015846 Item 5.
- [Cox] Cox, Idris Jacob and Dorisha Jane Cox Chargualaf. Our Cox Family History. Knoxville, Tenn.: I.J. Cox, 1999. FHL Book 929.273 C839ci.
- [Cragon] Cragon, Henry D. et al. Tennessee Cragons and Their Kinfolk. 1974. FHL 929.273 C843c.
- [Crecelius] Crecelius, Robert Lee and Williams, Sara Stone. The Descendants of Jesse Gaines Crecelius 1815-1900: Mississippi. Houston, Texas: R.L. Crecelius, 1994. FHL 929.273 C86crL; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online
- [Deaderick] Armstrong, Zella. Notable Southern Families. Chattanooga, Tenn.: Lookout Publishing Company, 1918. Vol. 1. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
- [DeVault] DeVault, Newland. Henry and Mary Catherine DeWald (DeVault) of Manheim Township, York County, Pennsylvania, and Their Eleven Children: Many of Whom Spelled Their Names as DeVault, Especially Those Seven and Son and Daughter of an Eighth Who Settled in Washington and Sullivan Co., Tennessee; Including the Kitzmillers of Tennessee Centered Around the Area on the Watauga River Later Known as "DeVault's Ford". Banning, Calif.: DeVault, 1975. FHL 1036923 Item 5.
- [DeWoody] Leigh, Betty Jean Dewoody. The DeWoody Family History. Phoenix, Ariz.: B.J. Leigh, 1989. FHL 929.273 D518L.
- [Duncan] Duncan, George O. and N.R. Roy. Marshall Duncan, the First and Some of His Descendants. Typescript. Donated 1961. FHL Film 896607 Item 3.
- [Dungan] Dungan, Thomas P. Jeremiah Dungan, 1730-1813, Watauga Settler: Farmer, Miller, and Stonemason of Washington County, Tennessee. Knoxville, Tenn.: T.P. Dungan, 2005. FHL 921.73 D918d; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online
- [Fain] Bradford, Augusta. Fain of Tennessee, Descendants of Nicholas Fain. Chattanooga, Tenn.: Lookout Pub. Co., c1930. FHL Book 929.273 F149b.
- [Fain] Fain, Frank B. and William Deaderick Fain. Fain Family Records: ca. 1730-ca. 1970. Typescript. Microfilmed 1979: FHL Films 1308001 -1308004.
- [Fain] Axson, Agnes Perritt. Fain Families of Southwest Georgia: Descendants of Thomas Fain. Jacksonville, Fla.: Conventional Press, Inc., 1986. FHL 929.273 F149a.
- [Gabbert] Gabbert, Howard Markland. Henry Gabbert and Catharine Holsapple Gabbert, 1798-1876: A Genealogical Essay. Tucson, Ariz.: H.M. Gabbert, 1991. FHL Book 929.273 G111gh.
- [Gallaher] Stuart, Floyd Crockett and Gallaher, Art. A Gallaher Family History: James H. and Sarah E. Gallaher and Their Descendants. Ogden, Utah: F.C. Stuart, 1999. FHL 929.273 G135; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online
- [Gaut] McWilliam, Judly L. and Roberta B. Pierson. Jones/Gaut: James & Jerusha: Arno, Wayland, Weber, Mabel. Sacramento, Calif.: J.L. McWilliams, 1987. FHL 929.273 J71mp.
- [Goodpasture] Goodpasture, Robert Abraham. Early Goodpaster (Goodpasture) Families in America: (Virginia, Tennessee, Kentucky, Ohio. Georgetown, Calif.: R.A. Goodpasture, 1974-1985. FHL Fiche 6010580 etc..
- [Gourley] Gourley, Beverly and Sam Gourley. Gourley Generations, Tenn., N.C., & Ky. Cunningham, Ky.: S. & B. Gourley, 1992. FHL 929.273 G743gg.
- [Graybill] Reeves-Graybill, Edward Earl. Reeves-Graybill, Edward Earl Pedigree Chart. Pedigree Chart. Microfilmed 2001: FHL Film 1145773 Item 16.
- [Grissom] McKinney, Irene. Wm. Grissom & Dicy Arteberry, Wash. Co., Tn. to Jackson Co., Tn. to Monroe Co., Ky: and Some Dillards. Lompoc, Calif.: I. McKinney, 1986. FHL 929.273 G889m.
- [Hammons] Williams, Sharon Ruth Hammons. Descendants of Hammons Brothers John Milton and Elcanah C., 1820-1990. Chillicothe, Ohio: S.H. Williams, 1990. FHL 929.273 H184w.
- [Haws] Houck, Lazell. Haws and Lusk Families, 1641-1978: Miscellaneous Material of Genealogical Nature. Stillwater, Okla.: Daughters of the American Colonists. Stillwater Chapter (Oklahoma), . FHL Book 929.273 H318hL.
- [Hendley] Demarest, Katherine Day. Record of Day Family. Los Angeles, Calif.: K.D. Demarest, [195-?]. FHL 2055162 Item 24.
- [Hestand] Kockler, Eloyce Hubbard. Hiestand--Hestand--Hastings. Helena, Montana: E.H. Kockler, 1995. FHL 929.273 H469k.
- [Himes] Stafford, Carolyn Joy. The Himes Family History: The Descendants of John Himes and Catherine Giesler Himes of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania and Washington County, Tennessee, 1797-1990. Brandon, Fla.: C.J. Stafford, 1990. FHL 929.273 H572s.
- [Holsapple] Gabbert, Howard Markland. Henry Gabbert and Catharine Holsapple Gabbert, 1798-1876: A Genealogical Essay. Tucson, Ariz.: H.M. Gabbert, 1991. FHL Book 929.273 G111gh.
- [Hoskins] Hackworth, Kenneth Onan, Charlotte Freels Duvall, Mary Buford Croley Davis. Jesse Hoskins, Tennessee Pioneer and His Descendants. Oak Ridge, Tenn.: PIP Printing and Copy Center, 1986. FHL 929.273 H793hj
- [Hunter] Hunter, Patricia Finn. Joseph Hunter Genealogy and His Jager Connection, 1650-2000: in Speedwell, Claiborne County, Tennessee; Cherokee Creek, Washington County, Tennessee; Rockingham County, Virginia; Frederick County, Maryland; Lancaster (now York) County, Pennsylvania; Basal-Land, Switzerland. Knoxville, Tenn.: P.F. Hunter, 2000. FHL 929.273 H917hp; digital version at Family History Archive.
- [Hurst] Hurst, Merritt S. Smith--Hurst Family, ca. 1630-1946. Warren, Ohio: M.S. Hurst, 194-?. FHL 1425300 Item 4.
- [Inman] Lindbergh, Alma Chattin. Inman Family History. MSS., Jasper Public Library, Jasper, Ind. FHL 1436058
- [Kincheloe] McPherson, Lewin D. Kincheloe, McPherson and Related Families; Their Genealogies and Biographies. Washington, D.C.: Lewin D. McPherson, 1951.
- [Longmire] Holt, Nellaray Wilma Borton. Longmire Family Records. MSS., FHL 1035644 Item 15.
- [McKillip] Headley, Katy McCaleb. MacKillop (McCaleb) Clan of Scotland and the United States. 2 vols. Chillicothe, Mo.: E.P. Ellsberry, . FHL 929.273 M124h.
- [Mathes] Van Deventer, Ida Christobelle. The Mathews (Mathes) Family in America. 1925; reprint, American Fork, Utah: G.R. Matthews, 1980s. FHL Book 929.273 M422v.
- [May] May Ancestors in Monroe County, Indiana. Referenced in FHLC FHL 1638488 Item 21.
- [May] Curtis, Oscar F. Research File: May and Allied Families. Typescript. Microfilmed 1989. FHL 1638488 Item 21.
- [Miller] Sell, Jeanne Lyle. The Miller Family of Knob Creek, Washington County, Tennessee. Johnson City, TN: Joan Sell, 1985.
- [Pritchett] Kintner, Elgin P. A Family History and Tour Guide of Reuel B. Pritchett and Ella Poff: The Parents of Ethel Pritchett Kintner: A Memento on the Occasion of Ethel's Eightieth Birthday 28 Aug. 1993. Maryville, Tenn.: E.P. Kintner, 1993. FHL 929.273 P939k.
- [Pugh] Tomlinson, Kenneth C. Colonel John Tipton and Captain Jonathan Pugh of Shenandoah County, Virginia and Washington County, Tennessee: Some of Their Descendants Represented by Members of the Tipton, Pugh, Barnett and Related Families. Portland, Ore.: K.C. Tomlinson, 1924. FHL 1320635 Item 93.
- [Range] Akers, Ronald L. Tennessee, a Home for the Ranges; Mary Jane Range Pedigree, Her Ancestors and Their Migration to Tennessee. Riverside, Calif: Ronald L. Akers, 2009. Digital version at Family History Archives.
- [Reagan] Reagan, Donald B. Smoky Mountain Clans. 3 vols. Knoxville, Tenn.: D.B. Reagan, 1978-1983. FHL 929.273R22b 1978. [The Reagan family is discussed in Vol. 1.]
- [Reaves] Reaves, Timothy O. The Reaves Family Tree. Greenville, Tenn.: T.O. Reaves, c1983. FHL Book 929.273 R238r.
- [Redmon] Davis, Evelyn Redmon. The Family History Record: A Genealogical Record. Asheville, N.C.: E.R. Davis, 1975?. FHL Book 929.273 R248a.
- [Rinehart] Rinehart Family History Committee. Lewis and Elizabeth Rinehart and Descendants. Oregon: Rinehart Family History Committee, [1993?]. FHL 929.273 R472L.
- [Saylor] Moore, Elizabeth Saylor. Descendants of John Saylor, Edward and William Carter, Maj. William Moulden. Knoxville, Tenn.: E.S. Moore, 1973. FHL 929.273 Sa99me.
- [Sevier] Armstrong, Zella. Notable Southern Families. Chattanooga, Tenn.: Lookout Publishing Company, 1918. Vol. 1. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
- [Sevier] Armstrong, Zella. Notable Southern Families. Chattanooga, Tenn.: Lookout Publishing Company, 1926. Vol. 4. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
- [Sharrett] Sharrett, Stuart B. Sharrett Family,: Brief History of Bristol Tennessee-Virginia, Washington and Sullivan Country. MSS., FHL 1421791 Item 3.
- [Shelby] Armstrong, Zella. Notable Southern Families. Chattanooga, Tenn.: Lookout Publishing Company, 1922. Vol. 2. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
- [Shields] Webb, Margaret Vance. Joseph Shields of Washington County, Tennessee. Knoxville, Tenn.: M.V. Webb, 1994. FHL 929.273 Sh61we.
- [Sliger] Franklin, Della Prietta Clouse. Sliger and Related Families in America. Cookeville, Tenn.: D.P. Franklin, 1993. FHL 929.273 SL35f.
- [Thomas] Copy of Summary Sheet, Thomas, John, W 876. Typescript. FHL 165997. [Source: Cemetery inscriptions, church records, vital records, marriage records, wills, Revolutionary soldiers, and family Bibles / Daughters of Founders and Patriots of America. Vol. 12.]
- [Tipton] Tomlinson, Kenneth C. Colonel John Tipton and Captain Jonathan Pugh of Shenandoah County, Virginia and Washington County, Tennessee: Some of Their Descendants Represented by Members of the Tipton, Pugh, Barnett and Related Families. Portland, Ore.: K.C. Tomlinson, 1924. FHL 1320635 Item 93.
- [Tunnell] Armstrong, Zella. Notable Southern Families. Chattanooga, Tenn.: Lookout Publishing Company, 1926. Vol. 3. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
- [Vance] Armstrong, Zella. Notable Southern Families. Chattanooga, Tenn.: Lookout Publishing Company, 1922. Vol. 2. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
- [Wear] Armstrong, Zella. Notable Southern Families. Chattanooga, Tenn.: Lookout Publishing Company, 1922. Vol. 2. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
- [Whitaker] Whitaker-Buck, Ruby M. Mark Whitaker, Baltimore County, Maryland (c1670-1729) and Allied Families. Sacramento, Calif.: privately published, 1992. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
- [Young] Simmons, Dessie Little. Robert Young, Sr., Patriot and Pioneer. Easley, SC: Southern Historical Press, 1984.
- ↑ "Original Virginia Records Imaged and Indexed Online," Arlene Eakle's Virginia Genealogy Blog, 12 October 2008.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki