Wicomico County, Maryland Genealogy
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Line 202:||Line 202:|
==== Newspapers ====
==== Newspapers ====
==== Probate ====
==== Probate ====
Revision as of 21:08, 24 May 2010
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
Please review the contributor help to assist you in editing.
Government Office Building
- Named for Wicomico River, in turned derived from American Indian words wicko mekee, meaning "a place where houses are built," apparently referring to an Indian town on the banks.
Allen Cemetery Barren Creek Springs Cemetery Bethel Cemetery Colbourne Cemetery Dennis Cemetery Dolbey Cemetery Farlows Cemetery
Hammond Cemetery Hastings Cemetery Hebron Cemetery Hustons Cemetery Jerusalem Cemetery Melson Cemetery New Hope Cemetery
Nichols Cemetery Oak Grove Cemetery Palmer Cemetery Parsons Cemetery Pittsville Cemetery Redman Cemetery Saint Johns Cemetery
Spring Hill Memorial Garden Twilley Cemetery Union Cemetery Wicomico Memorial Park Zion Cemetery
Cemetery transcriptions can be found on:
Federal Census reports available 1870-1930 including slave and veterans schedules.
Maryland State Archives' Guide to Maryland Religious Institutions identifies all churches known to have existed in Wicomico County, Maryland. It covers all denominations and includes record descriptions. The following records, taken from its collection, have been digitized and made available to view for free online:
- Baptist, Allen Memorial Church, Salisbury, Md., includes: Register and Minutes 1859-1877, List of Members and Dates of Baptism, Minutes 1905-1930s, church history, deed, Record of Membership 1920-1950, and Covenant, Membership 1907-1908
- First Methodist, includes Church Register
- Methodist, Bethel Church, Membership and Church Records, years: 1870s-1960s
- Methodist, Bethesda Church, includes: Registers 1840s-1950s, Sabbath School Minutes 1880s, Misc. Registers [also known as Bethesda Methodist Protestant Church]
- Methodist, Bivalve Church, various records 1880s-1960s
- Methodist, Christ Church, includes Church Records 1952-1967
- Methodist, Jerusalem Church, Membership and Church Records, years: 1870s-1960s
- Methodist, Jones Church, Membership and Church Records, years: 1870s-1920s
- Methodist, Jones Church, includes Church Records 1885-1961
- Methodist, Mt. Hermon Church, includes Church Register 1914-1937 and Church Records 1956-1967
- Methodist, Mt. Zion Church see Quantico Charge
- Methodist, Melsom Church, Membership and Church Records, years: 1870s-1930s
- Methodist, Nanticoke Church, various records 1800s-1960s
- Methodist, New Hope Church, includes Church Register 1914-1937
- Methodist, Oak Grove Church, includes Registers 1880s-1930s
- Methodist, Powellville Charge, various circuit records 1870s-1960s
- Methodist, Quantico Charge, Membership Records, years: 1942-1962, includes: Mt. Zion, St. Luke's, St. Marks and church histories of St. Luke's and St. Mark's
- Methodist, Quantico Church, includes Church Register
- Methodist, Rockawalkin Church, includes Church Register
- Methodist, St. John's Church, Membership and Church Records, years: 1870s-1920s
- Methodist, St. Luke's Church see Quantico Charge
- Methodist, St. Mark's Church see Quantico Charge
- Methodist, Trinity Church, includes Church Records 1885-1961
- Methodist, Trinity Church, includes Church Register
- Methodist, Tyaskin Church, includes Church Records 1894-1961
- Methodist, Waltersville Charge, various records 1800s-1960s
- Methodist, Wesley Church, Membership and Church Records, years: 1870s-1920s
- Methodist, White Haven Church, includes Church Records 1885-1961
- Methodist, Whitehaven Church, includes Church Register
- Methodist, Zion Church, Membership and Church Records, years: 1870s-1960s
- Methodist Episcopal, Parsonburg Circuit, includes Church Records 1909-1932
- Methodist Episcopal, Whitehaven and Trinity Churches, includes Registers 1860-1881
- Methodist Episcopal, Whitehaven and Trinity Churches, includes Registers 1922-1923
- Methodist Episcopal Church South, Allen Circuit, Charge Collection (begins on page 48). [user: aaco, password: aaco#]
- Methodist Episcopal Church South, Asbury see Wicomico Circuit
- Methodist Episcopal Church South, Wicomico Circuit, Conference Minutes, years: 1880s-1910s. Congregations: Asbury, Eden, Morris Schoolhouse, New Churches, Trinity, Washington.
- Methodist Protestant, Pittsville Circuit, various records 1910s-1960s
- Methodist Protestant, Salisbury Circuit, includes various records 1840s-1950s
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Wright] Wright, Charles W. The Wright Ancestry of Caroline, Dorchester, Somerset and Wicomico Counties Maryland. Baltimore: Baltimore City Printing and Binding Co., 1907. Available at FHL; digital versions at BYU Family History Archives and Google Books (full-view).
Through a Joint eGovernment Service of the Maryland Judiciary and the Maryland State Archives, free images and indexes of the complete series of Wicomico County Deed Books (1867-present) have been uploaded to their website: MDLandRec.Net: A Digital Image Retrieval System for Land Records in Maryland. (Requires free registration.)
- Wicomico County newspapers are identified in "Guide to Maryland Newspapers," available online, courtesy: Special Collections, Maryland State Archives.
- Maryland Death Certificate Index 1898-1944, available online, courtesy: Vital Records Indexing Project, Maryland State Archives.
Other Wicomico County death resources include:
- 1898 - 1958, Selected Death Certificates transcribed
Societies and Libraries
- Lower Delmarva Genealogical Society
Wicomico County Library
16-1 North Division Street
Salisbury MD 21801
Phone 410-742-3501 or 410-546-0314
- Wicomico Historical Society
PO Box 573 Pemberton Drive
Salisbury MD 21803-0573
For more information concerning the Societies and Libraries in Maryland see the Maryland Societies page.
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library Catalog for Wicomico County.
- The Wicomico County MDGenWeb Project, a member of The MDGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Wicomico County.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Wicomico County. (Backup site)
- ↑ Graveyards and Gravestones of Wicomico By John E. Jacob, Jr. Available from the Lower Delmarva Maryland Genealogical Society. LIB 2-4-3
- ↑ WorldCat
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News