Wilson's Creek National Battlefield LibraryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 17:49, 5 February 2013 by Ccsmith
- Wilson's Creek National Battlefield at 6424 West Farm Road 182 near Republic, Missouri, preserves the site of the Battle of Wilson's Creek. Fought on August 10, 1861, it was the first major American Civil War engagement west of the Mississippi River.
- The Confederate's failure to exploit their victory here resulted in keeping Missouri in the Union.
- Major features include a 5-mile automobile tour loop, the restored 1852 Ray House, and "Bloody Hill," the scene of the major battle.
- The site is located just southwest of the city of Springfield, in southwestern Missouri.
- National Park Service
- Wikipedia History of Wilson Creek Battlefield
- Republic Missouri - Wilson Creek