Winona County, Minnesota GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This Minnesota-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- 1854--Winona County was created 4 April 1854 from Fillmore and Wabasha Counties. County seat: Winona 
- For a brief history of how Winona County was named click here. Then select Winona County.
"The History of Wabasha County" Online history book of early Wabasha and Winona Counties published in 1884.
Altura | Dakota | Elba | Goodwin | La Crescent | Lewiston | Minneiska | Minnesota City | Rollingstone | St. Charles | Stockton | Utica | Winona
Dresbach | Elba | Fremont | Hart | Hillsdale | Homer | Mt. Vernon | New Hartford | Norton | Pleasant Hill | Richmond | Rollingstone | Saratoga | St. Charles | Utica | Warren | Whitewater | Wilson | Wiscoy
Ashton | Enterprise | Grover | Homer | Whitewater Falls
Wikipedia for Winona County
- Buffalo County, Wisconsin
- La Crosse County, Wisconsin
- Trempealeau County, Wisconsin
- 1874 Map of Winona County. Includes landowners, churches, cemeteries. From the David Rumsey Map Collection.
Civil War service men from Winona County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are many companies or regiments that were formed from men of Winona County.
- - 2nd Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company A.
- - 2nd Regiment, Minnesota Cavalry, Companies G, I and L.
- - 3rd Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company K.
- - 7th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Companies B and D.
- - 7th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company D.
- - Brackett's Battalion, Minnesota Cavalry, Company A.
- - Hatch's Independent Battalion, Minnesota Cavalry, Company B.
- Minnesota Newspapers Directory Locations and contact information for Winona County newspapers.
- Winona Newspaper Project Online newspapers from the historical Winona Argus, the Winona Daily Republican and the Winona Republican Herald newspapers.
Societies and Libraries
- Laird Lucas Memorial Library & Archives Houses the Winona County Historical Society Archives and contains historical books, newspapers, manuscripts, documents and photographs.
- Winona County Historical Society website
Family History Centers
- Winona County, MN Genealogy Forum (GenForum)
- Family History Library Catalog
- Family History 101 - My Minnesota Genealogy This site has information on Winona Co. and where to find county records.
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Winona County, Minnesota page 370, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News