BulgariaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Getting started with Bulgarian research
Welcome to the Bulgaria Page!
FamilySearch Wiki is a community website dedicated to helping people throughout the world learn how to find their ancestors. Through the Bulgaria Page you can learn how to find, use, and analyze Bulgarian records of genealogical value. The content is variously targeted to beginners, intermediate, and expert researchers. The Bulgaria Page is a work in progress, your contributions and feedback are essential!
To see what records exist in the Family History Library for the country of Bulgaria click here
Bulgaria, officially the Republic of Bulgaria, is a country situated in south-eastern Europe, bordering Romania, Serbia, Macedonia, Greece, Turkey and the Black Sea. Bulgaria ranks as the third largest country in Southeast Europe. Its landscape is defined by several mountains and mountain ranges. In contrast, the plains represent Bulgaria's lowest and most fertile regions. The 378-kilometer Black Sea coastline covers the entire eastern bound of the country. To read more about Bulgaria see The World Factbook and Wikipedia.
Did you know?
- Bulgaria is one of the oldest European countries and is the only one that hasn't changed its namе ever since it was founded.
- According to the statistics, Bulgaria ranks third in Europe only after Greece and Italy for the number of its valuable archeological monuments.
- The recognition of the Bulgarian Patriarchate by the Patriarchate of Constantinople in 927 AD makes the Bulgarian Orthodox Church the oldest Slavic Orthodox Church in the world.
- The Bulgarians were the first people to use the Cyrillic alphabet immediately after its inception in the 9th century.
- With the accession of Bulgaria to the European Union on January 1, 2007, Cyrillic became the third official alphabet of the EU.
Administratively, Bulgaria is divided into 28 districts (or provinces). All take their names from their respective capital cities. The provinces subdivide into 264 municipalities. Sofia, with 1.4 million people, is the capital and largest city of Bulgaria and the 15th largest city by population in the European Union. It is located in western Bulgaria, at the foot of Mount Vitosha.
To add your knowledge and help expand the wiki click here:
(Your text or images here, or use the table below:)
(All text below this is included in a column on the left side of the screen.)
- This page was last modified on 18 August 2014, at 21:27.
- This page has been accessed 8,236 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki