Dominican Republic GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Caribbean Dominican Republic
Guide to Dominican Republic ancestry, family history and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
Getting started with Dominican Republic research
The Dominican Republic is a country occupying the eastern two-thirds of Hispaniola Island in the West Indies, while the western third of the island is occupied by the nation of Haiti. Hispaniola Island is one of the Greater Antilles Islands on the northern edge of the Caribbean Sea helping to separate it from the North Atlantic Ocean. The island lies between Cuba on the west and Puerto Rico on the east. See the CIA World Factbook article about the Domincan Repulic.
Si usted entiende español
Le invitamos a buscar información en español en la página de República Dominicana en el wiki de FamilySearch español. También le invitamos a compartir información útil allí. Véase el enlace en la parte inferior de la página.
(Translated into English: If you understand Spanish
We invite you to search for information in Spanish in the Dominican Republic page in Spanish FamilySearch wiki. We also invite you to share useful information there. See the link at the bottom of the page.)
Spain 1493, western part of Hispaniola island (Haiti) to France 1697, all of Hispaniola to France 1795, Haiti gains independence 1804, revolt returns eastern part of Hispaniola (Santo Domingo) to Spain 1808, Haiti conquers Santo Domingo 1822, Dominican Republic gains independence 1844, Dominican Republic returns to Spain 1861, Dominican Republic regains independence 1865, United States occupies Haiti in 1915 and the Dominican Republic 1916, United States leaves Dominican Republic 1924, and leaves Haiti in 1947.Administrative divisions:
31 provinces (provincias singular - provincia), and 1 district (distrito)
Maria Trinidad Sanchez
San Jose de Ocoa
San Pedro de Macoris
Dominican Republic Archives
The website for the Archives of the Dominican Republic is in Spanish with no option to be displayed in English, but it appears they at least have a catalog of materials available and may have some online data. There is an email address provided for inquiries.
- Research Resource: BYU Locality Analysis for Dominican Republic
- Listing of all records collections for the Dominican Republic available on FamilySearch.org
Wiki articles describing these collections are found at:
- Dominican Republic Civil Registration (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Dominican Republic Civil Births (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Dominican Republic Deaths (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Dominican Republic Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Dominican Republic Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Dominican Republic Baptisms (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Dominican Republic Genealogical Resources
Civil Registration Records
In order to make this wiki a better research tool, we need your help! Many tasks need to be done. You can help by:
To add your knowledge and help expand the wiki click here:
- This page was last modified on 10 November 2015, at 22:50.
- This page has been accessed 40,966 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News