Germany, Anhalt, Dessau, City Directories (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Germany, Anhalt, Dessau, City Directories, 1866-1919 .
Title in the Language of the Record
Deutschland, Anhalt, Dessau, Stadt-Verzeichnisse
This collection contains city directories for Dessau, Anhalt, Germany. These city directories are generally arranged alphabetically by surname and by given name and provide the individual's occupation and address. Often included are classified directories of government offices and other institutions and services of public interest. Original directories are located in the Stadtarchiv Dessau, Saxony Anhalt, Germany.
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Germany, Anhalt, Dessau, City Directories, 1866-1919.|
The records are written in German Gothic script. For help reading the records see the wiki articles:
|This image needs a translation.You can help by adding an English translation of the image. (Instructions)|
City directories usually contain the following information:
- Full name of ancestor
- Names of family members
- Name of spouse
- Address or residence
- Birth date and place
How to Use the Record
To search this collection, it would be helpful to know the following information:
- Name of head of household
- Birth date or age of your ancestor
- City of residence
Search the Collection
To search the collection
⇒Select "Browse through images" on the initial collection page
⇒Select the appropriate "Year" which takes you to the images.
Search the collection by image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine which one is your ancestor. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to make this determination.
Using the Information
When you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. Save a copy of the image or transcribe the information. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details such as a title, an occupation, or land ownership. Add this new information to your records of each family. You should also look for leads to other records about your ancestors.
Tips to Keep in Mind
- The information may be incorrect.
- The ages listed may not be correct.
- A given name may not be the same as the name used in vital records.
- Names may be spelled as they sound. Look for variant spellings of the names as well as nicknames.
- Place-names may be misspelled.
- Some parts of the record may be illegible.
- If the family is not at the expected location, you should search the surrounding area.
|FHL Place Germany, Anhalt, Dessau items or FHL Keyword Germany, Anhalt, Dessau items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see Germany Archives and Libraries.|
Learning Center Resources
- My Ancestors Are from Germany, and I Don't Speak German!
- German Script Tutorial
- Germany Beginning Research Series Lesson 1: Getting Started
- Germany Beginning Research Series Lesson 2: Learn about Historical Background
- Germany Beginning Research Series Lesson 3: Using Maps, Gazetteers and Websites
- German Church and Civil Records
Related Wiki Articles
How You Can Contribute
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citations for This Collection
Citing your sources makes it easy for others to find and evaluate the records you used. When you copy information from a record, list where you found that information. Here you can find citations already created for the entire collection and for each individual record or image.
- Stadtarchiv Dessau. Germany, Anhalt, Dessau, City Directories. City of Dessau city archives, Dessau, Germany.
|The citation for an image is available on each image in this collection by clicking Show Citation at the bottom left of the image screen. You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Germany, Anhalt, Dessau, City Directories, 1866-1919.|
- This page was last modified on 4 August 2015, at 15:01.
- This page has been accessed 3,353 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News