Germany, Bavaria, Nördlingen Miscellaneous City Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Germany, Bavaria, Nördlingen, Miscellaneous City Records, 1385-1943 .
Title in the Language of the Records
Deutschland, Bayern, Nördlingen Archivgut
This collection will include records from 1385 to 1943.
This collection of mixed records from the city archives of Bavaria covers the inclusive years of about 1400-1943. Most of the records are handwritten in narrative style and, in later years, in formatted forms. The record text is in German.
This collection may include records such as:
- Church records
- Citizenship rolls
- City directories
- Emigration records
- Genealogy records
- School records
For a list of records categories and dates currently published in this collection, select the Browse link from the collection landing page.
Most of the time these records are created to help civil authorities and for the benefits of its citizens.
Most of the records listed in this collection are reliable to a point, depending on the knowledge of the person giving the information and the person that received it and recorded it. The most used records for genealogical research are the civil registration records after 1876 and the church records before that date. However, if those are not available, the population registers (census) and emigration records are also reliable and great records to search for data that will help find other family members and other records.
Records usually contain the following information:
- Names of parents, children, witnesses
- Dates and places of events, ages
- Residence and religion of principals
- Occupation of principal person and maybe of other people listed depending on the record
How to Use the Record
To search the collection,
⇒Select "Browse through images" on the initial collection page
⇒Select “Record type, Year range, and Volume” which takes you to the images.
Search the collection by image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine which one is your ancestor. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to make this determination.
In order to find data in this collection, it will be necessary to know at least the name of the ancestor, the place of the event, and an approximate date.
Some records have indexes at the end of the volume. Frequently, these indexes are arranged by the given name of the individual and sometimes use the Latin form of the name. Those volumes without indexes need to be searched chronologically for the individuals sought. When you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information about other people listed in the record. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details that can lead you to other records about your ancestors.
- Use the birth or baptism date and place to find the family in census records.
- Use the residence and names of the parents to locate civil and land records.
- The father’s occupation can lead you to employment records, military records, or other types of records.
- The parents' places of origin can tell you former residences and can help to establish a migration pattern for the family.
- Marriage date and place may help find a couple's children.
- Burial place may also help you find a couple's migration pattern.
It is often helpful to extract the information on all children with the same parents. If the surname is unusual, you may want to compile baptism entries for every person of the same surname and sort them into families based on the names of the parents. Continue to search the baptism records to identify siblings, parents, and other relatives in the same or other generations who were born, married, and died in or near to the same place.
For Help Reading These Records
These records are in German. For help reading the records, see the following wiki articles:
|FHL Place Germany, Bayern, Nördlingen items or FHL Keyword Germany, Bayern, Nördlingen items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see Germany Archives and Libraries.|
Related Wiki Articles
- Germany Archives and Libraries
- Germany Church Records
- Germany locating civil registration records not at the Family History Library
Contributions to This Article
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.|
Citation for This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org Historical Records collections. Sources include the author, custodian, publisher, and archive for the original records.
- "Germany, Bavaria, Nördlingen Miscellaneous City Records, 1385-1943." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013. Citing Schulamt. Stadtarchiv Nördlingen.
- This page was last modified on 21 August 2014, at 19:01.
- This page has been accessed 7,789 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki