GuernseyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
As well as the island of Guernsey itself, the Bailiwick includes the islands of Alderney, Sark, Herm, Jethou, Brecqhou, Burhou, Lihou and other islets.
Guernsey is neither part of the United Kingdom nor the European Union. Together with the States of Jersey, it forms the geographic area known as the Channel Islands.
The islands were formerly under the control of Brittany and, later, Normandy and France. The Bailiwick of Guernsey was occupied by German troops during World War II.
Guernsey's States of Deliberation comprises the bailiff or deputy bailiff, 12 conseillers, 10 douzaine (parish council) representatives, 33 people's deputies, two Alderney representatives, HM Procureur (attorney-general) and HM Comptroller (solicitor-general).
Getting Started with Guernsey Research
The ten parishes of Guernsey are:
- St Andrew
- St Martin
- St Peter Port
- St Pierre du Bois
- St Sampson
- St Saviour
- Channel Islands Family History Society
- La Société Guernesiaise
- Priaulx Library
- Isle of Sark
- Guernsey Family History
- Alderney, Guernsey, Jersey and Sark Resources and help pages on RootsChat Alderney, Guernsey, Jersey and Sark Resources and help pages. (Free).
- (helpful tools and resources, gazetteers)
- (language dictionary, handwriting guide or tutorial, etc.)
- Browse: Pages for Guernsey
Did you know?
- The French writer Victor Hugo wrote some of his best-known works while in exile in Guernsey, including Les Misérables. His home in St. Peter Port, Hauteville House, is now a museum.
- On 10 December 2008 the residents of the island of Sark held its first democratic election for the office of Conseillers of the Chief Pleas. For centuries the island has been governed, under a feudal system, by local landowning families. The change was brought about following a legal challenge by residents under the European Convention on Human Rights.
In order to make this wiki a better research tool, we need your help! Many tasks need to be done. You can help by:
- This page was last modified on 11 March 2014, at 11:18.
- This page has been accessed 5,188 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki