Haiti GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Haiti ancestry, family history and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
Getting started with Haiti research
Haiti is a country occupying the western third of Hispaniola Island in the West Indies which it shares with the Dominican Republic. Hispaniola Island is one of the Greater Antilles Islands on the northern edge of the Caribbean Sea helping to separate it from the North Atlantic Ocean. The island lies between Cuba on the west and Puerto Rico on the east. See the CIA Factbook about Haiti.
SovereigntySpain 1493, western part of Hispaniola island (Haiti) to France 1697, all of Hispaniola to France 1795, Haiti gains independence 1804, revolt returns eastern part of Hispaniola (Santo Domingo) to Spain 1808, Haiti conquers Santo Domingo 1822, Dominican Republic gains independence 1844, Dominican Republic returns to Spain 1861, Dominican Republic regains independence 1865, United States occupies Haiti in 1915 and the Dominican Republic 1916, United States leaves Dominican Republic 1924, and leaves Haiti in 1947.
- Searchable database for Haiti
- Where can you find civil registers for Haiti
- Listing of all records collections for Haiti available on FamilySearch.org
- Haiti genealogical resources
- Facebook group Haitian Genealogy created to help those from Haiti/Saint Domingue and Dominican Republic/Saint Domingue learn the history of their ancestors and country. The author of this site is willing to assist. Claudy Joseph-St.Germain Lavin. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org (accessed 2013)
- Facebook group Genealogie Haiti Created to help those from Haiti learn the history of theirs ancestors and country. The author of this site is willing to assist via his own website:www.genealogiehaiti.com. Cham Yvenor, He can reached at email@example.com (accessed 2015)
A wiki article describing an online collections is found at:
In order to make this wiki a better research tool, we need your help! Many tasks need to be done. You can help by:
To add your knowledge and help expand the wiki click here:
- This page was last modified on 11 November 2015, at 15:44.
- This page has been accessed 18,072 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News