Help:Creating a society pageEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
| This help article will guide you as you edit in the Wiki. See Contributor Help for more help articles.|
Family history or genealogical societies are mentioned throughout the FamilySearch Research Wiki. Societies can join one of the largest genealogical Wikis in the world by creating a page for your society that includes a snapshot, the benefits and activities of your society:
Benefits to your society
- Post info on upcoming meetings and activities
- Post presentations and handouts from your meetings
- Promote seminars, conferences, and training events
- Use the Wiki to connect projects your society needs done
- Link to the wiki pages your society has adopted
- Publish on-line newsletters
- Increase your membership
- Take advantage of the Wiki to reach a broader audience
- Drive traffic to your website
Benefits to your members:
- Link to members’ personal Wiki pages or personal genealogical websites
- Lists members on the Wiki by locality focus, ethnic focus, residence, projects
- Learn what’s new in data sets, software, and record collections pertaining to your area
- Post announcements about achievements of your members and recognize them
- Involve society members by involving them in the Wiki
Benefits to your society officers:
- Communication function: new publications, new resources, new databases
- Post back issues of your society newsletters so that you do not have to store them
- Add answers to commonly asked genealogical questions
- Save the cost of hiring a webmaster and the maintenance costs
Ready to create a society page? It's easy...
- E-mail Wiki Support at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Request a page in the Wiki be created for your organization. Include the following information:
a. The name of your society or organization
b. The link to your society/organization's web page if you have one
c. A contact name and email address so that we can contact you to finalize the details
- A Support representative will create your page for you and teach you how to edit it to add the items you would like to include on it.
Prefer to do it yourself? Follow these instructions
- Review the template for creating a society page
- Follow the instructions on the template page and create your new society wiki page.
- Create a link from an existing wiki page where your society is mentioned to your new society page.
- Customize your society page by adding details and images related to your society. Add new sections or delete those not applicable.
- If you have any questions, call 866-406-1830 and ask for Wiki Support, or e-mail us at email@example.com.
Review the following pages to see what a society page might look like. (Note that the pages are in various stages of creation as of 18 Aug 2010):
- Dorset Family History Society
- Daughters of Utah Pioneers
- Arizona State Genealogical Society
- Benjamin Franklin Johnson Family Organization
- This page was last modified on 8 October 2014, at 11:59.
- This page has been accessed 3,411 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki