Winona County, Minnesota GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Winona County, Minnesota ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Winona County, Minnesota|
Location in the state of Minnesota
Location of Minnesota in the U.S.
|Founded||April 4, 1854|
|Address|| Winona County Courthouse|
171 W 3rd Street
Winona, MN 55987
Winona County Website
Clerk District Court has birth and death records from 1870
probate records from 1871 and school records 1909-1939. 
- 1854--Winona County was created 4 April 1854 from Fillmore and Wabasha Counties. County seat: Winona 
- For a brief history of how Winona County was named click here. Then select Winona County.
"The History of Wabasha County" Online history book of early Wabasha and Winona Counties published in 1884.
Altura | Dakota | Elba | Goodwin | La Crescent | Lewiston | Minneiska | Minnesota City | Rollingstone | St. Charles | Stockton | Utica | Winona
Dresbach | Elba | Fremont | Hart | Hillsdale | Homer | Mt. Vernon | New Hartford | Norton | Pleasant Hill | Richmond | Rollingstone | Saratoga | St. Charles | Utica | Warren | Whitewater | Wilson | Wiscoy
Ashton | Enterprise | Grover | Homer | Whitewater Falls
Wikipedia for Winona County
- Buffalo County, Wisconsin
- La Crosse County, Wisconsin
- Trempealeau County, Wisconsin
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Minnesota Church Records.
- Records of the Central Lutheran Church, Winona, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
The county register of deeds keeps land records once the land was transferred to private ownership. Abstracts and indexes for these records are generally available at the county courthouse.
Land records for Minnesota are listed in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
MINNESOTA, Winona – LAND AND PROPERTY
Local histories are available for Winona County, Minnesota Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Minnesota Local Histories.
- Family Maps of Winona County, Minnesota Genealogy (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- 1874 Map of Winona County. Includes landowners, churches, cemeteries. From the David Rumsey Map Collection.
Civil War service men from Winona County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are many companies or regiments that were formed from men of Winona County.
- - 2nd Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company A.
- - 2nd Regiment, Minnesota Cavalry, Companies G, I and L.
- - 3rd Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company K.
- - 7th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Companies B and D.
- - 9th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company K
- - Brackett's Battalion, Minnesota Cavalry, Company A.
- - Hatch's Independent Battalion, Minnesota Cavalry, Company B.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Winona County, Minnesota Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Minnesota Newspapers Directory Locations and contact information for Winona County newspapers.
- Winona Newspaper Project Online newspapers from the historical Winona Argus, the Winona Daily Republican and the Winona Republican Herald newspapers.
Probate records may include, wills, bonds, petitions, accounts, inventories, administrations, orders, decrees, and distributions. They may include the decedent’s date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, etc. See Minnesota Probate Records for additional information.
Minnesota tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses before 1820 or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Minnesota Taxation.
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Minnesota State Registrar of Vital Records, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred], order electronically online or download an application for Minnesota Birth Certificate and Death Certificates Applications to mail.
Societies and Libraries
- Laird Lucas Memorial Library & Archives Houses the Winona County Historical Society Archives and contains historical books, newspapers, manuscripts, documents and photographs.
- Winona County Historical Society website
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Centers for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Winona County, MN Genealogy Forum (GenForum)
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Family History 101 - My Minnesota Genealogy This site has information on Winona Co. and where to find county records.
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Winona County, Minnesota page 370, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ "Evangelical Lutheran Church in America: An Inventory of Selected Congregational Records of the American Lutheran Church in Minnesota at the Minnesota Historical Society," Collection Finding Aids, Minnesota Historical Society, http://www.mnhs.org/library/findaids/01009.xml, accessed 10 June 2013.
|This Minnesota-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 6 April 2015, at 20:46.
- This page has been accessed 11,941 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News