When the RootsTech family history conference began six years ago, it was a simple gathering that took up only a small portion of the Salt Palace Convention Center in downtown Salt Lake City, Utah. Today, this conference is labeled “the world’s largest celebration of families across generations.”
More than 15,000 people from across the world are expected to make the trek to Salt Lake City on February 3–6, 2016, to learn, discover, preserve, and share family stories across generations.
Our suggestion? Download the app.
The RootsTech app was recently made available for download from the App Store and the Google Play Store. RootsTech directors expect the app not only to enhance an attendee’s experience, but to personalize it as well.
“We believe RootsTech is an experience,” says Chad Schumacher, marketing manager of the conference. “The app is built to allow attendees to engage and interact with other family history enthusiasts. Really, it will help them build their own online communities.”
While there are many helpful features on the app, here are five you might find most useful:
- Create a personalized class schedule. After logging in, tap the Schedule icon to browse an extensive list of workshops, classes, and activities. Select the event that appeals to you the most, and read the bio of the speaker. Once you’ve found the class or workshop you wish to attend, tap the Add to Agenda This event will then be added to your agenda and plotted on your calendar.
- Find speaker information. Looking to find a class taught by Jill Ball, Myko Clelland, or Lisa Louise Cooke? You can view a comprehensive list of speakers and the sessions they’ll be presenting by tapping the Speakers
- Connect on social media. After selecting the News and Social icon, you can follow the RootsTech conversation on social media. You’ll be able to see what @RootsTechConf (the official RootsTech Twitter account) is tweeting and read the latest posts from the official bloggers at the conference. Links to the RootsTech Facebook page and YouTube videos are also provided.
- Find your way around town. If you’re attending the conference for the first time and are worried about getting lost in Salt Lake City, take advantage of the Maps icon! This tool provides you with the exact location of the Salt Palace Convention Center as well as phone and fax numbers for your convenience.
- Connect with other conference attendees. Your experience at RootsTech will be enhanced as you connect with and befriend other family history enthusiasts. Tap the Networking icon within the app, build a profile, and start connecting.
Already downloaded the app? Tweet us what you like best about it at @RootsTechConf.
Watch the highlights of RootsTech 2015.