Things are looking great with the 1940 US Census indexing effort. We’ve started week 3 and we’re pleased to see the excellent progress being made. Our overall goal of providing a high-quality searchable index of the 1940 census in a timely manner is progressing nicely. There is a lot of excitement from indexers to see their state index complete and posted for folks to use.
As of April 16th we have the following statistics to report:
- Sunday, April 15th was our best day ever with 25,977 volunteers working on indexing or arbitrating.
- The total number of volunteers who have signed up as indexers and/or arbitrators is 68,924.
- All 50 states are now posted online at indexing.familysearch.org and are ready for indexing.
- Several states are nearly fully indexed and will have their indexes posted within the next few weeks.
- The searchable index for Delaware is done and now available at FamilySearch.org/1940census.
- 8,672,104 records have been indexed and arbitrated by volunteers.
- We have now indexed 10% of the entire 1940 US Census.
We continue to see new people signing up to be indexers and arbitrators. This is great because we can always use more volunteers. Remember to tell your friends and neighbors about your indexing experiences and show them how they can be involved.
Thank you for the great job you are all doing. It’s nice to see a community of volunteers working together to accomplish something good that will help so many people.