Benefits of Family Tree Vs. new.familysearch.org
Family Tree: The Best of new.familysearch.org Plus Great New Features
With the introduction of the Family Tree pilot this fall, consultants, members, and the general public will get a look at the future replacement for new.familysearch.org.
New.familysearch.org has done its job. But, based on user feedback and internal assessment, it needs to do much more, and be much better. That is exactly what drove the development of Family Tree—the desire to create a world-class family tree application as well as a user-friendly tool for clearing names for temple work.
The engineers here at FamilySearch have taken the best of what new.familysearch.org provided and added to it powerful tools for data accuracy, usability, and collaboration. Benefits of Family Tree include:
- Integration with FamilySearch.org
- Easy navigation
- The ability to connect and collaborate with others
- The ability to add, edit, and delete relationships
- The ability to discuss and show sources for vital family tree information
- A tool for receiving notifications on people and sources
- Tools to qualify and submit names for temple work
While Family Tree is currently in pilot, development is aggressive and several features will be added in the next few months. Some of these upcoming features include:
- The ability to use Family Tree on behalf of someone else (helper)
- Additional features to reduce merging of nonduplicate records
- The migration from new.familysearch.org of individual and family notes as well as user entered sources
- The ability to print pedigree charts, family group records, and other reports
As a consultant or priesthood leader, you will be able to spread the word about the benefits of this updated system. You will also be able to guide people as they become acclimated to Family Tree. In the process you will be doing your part to accelerate temple work and help achieve the eternal purposes of family history.
As you become more familiar with Family Tree, don’t forget about all the training available to you. Please visit our training website to take a training course, view tutorials, access a user guide, do the practice activities, and much more.